The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Page numbers? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to put running page numbers as a footer to each page?

Thanks!

Wolfman
:confused:

Select the Master Canvas in the Canvasses drawer. Place a text box on the canvas wherever you want it to appear on any newly created canvasses. While the text box has focus, go to the Edit>Insert Variable menu and select Page Number. If you want to have X out of Y pages, following the code for the Page Number variable type the separator you want (e.g. a /) and then select Edit>Insert Variable>Total Pages

The full code would then be <%#%>/<%TotalPages%>

If you only want it on a specific page, you can position a text box on just that canvas and insert the variable there.

Yep, you can do so via the text variables, which are available in the Edit Menu -> Variables submenu in OmniGraffle 4.

Cheers,

Thanks for your quick response. I'll give it a go!

Wolfman

OK, but here is what I don't get...

I am making a very long document... it is a flow that keps going down for about 30 pages. There are multiple canvases, but each one can be 10 pages or so long. When I put the text box on the master canvas, it only comes out on the first page of each canvas. I want it to come out on each page. Know what I mean?

Thanks

Jonathan

That should be automated - I would send feedback to OmniGroup to request that this feature be added using the Help>Send Feedback menu item in OmniGraffle.

In its absence, there is a workaround. If you set up your Master canvas so that it has the same format as your Canvasses with additional pages (e.g. say it is 2 pages wide and 5 deep to give you your 10), and add the variables to each page on that Master canvas, when you then create a new canvas (and extend it to that page format) the variables will show up automatically.

In fact, the simpler thing to do is to create a Master canvas with pages that exceed the number you are likely to ever use and add your variables to each page on that Master canvas. When you create a new canvas and it contains less pages, you just need to reduce it down. If, for any reason, you ever need to go beyond the bounds of the Master, you can also just add the variables to the additional pages by hand and they will auto-populate with the correct numbers and any other canvasses present will auto-correct their own entries.