The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best way to "split" a shape using OG Pro Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to find the best way to split a shape into two objects. The two scenarios that I need to do are:

- Take a formatted shape and "break" it apart to show an item as broken/incomplete/in-progress

- Split a complicated object into two regions so I can fill/format part of independently

Currently I'm doing this by duplicating the object, and overlaying it with two rectangles and using Edit > Shapes > Intersect Shapes. It works, but it's a lot of manual work (duplicating shapes, lining up the rectangles, etc).

Since the functionality of splitting a shape already exists, wouldn't it be trivial to supporting drawing a line between two magnets on the shape and choosing a function like Edit > Shapes > Split Shape at Line? Does this already exist, and I'm making it too complicated?

Splitting or slicing a shape (ala Illustrator) isn't possible at the moment, however it's something that has been requested in the past, I'd recommend sending in official feedback to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com so your vote in this matter can get logged correctly.