The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please do something about backups Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I really appreciate the fact that OmniFocus backups up my document once or twice a day. But ending up with hundreds of backup files is not really very cool.

Please, guys, can't you add an option to limit the number of backup files kept, or a rotation schedule, so they're deleted after 1 week or something like that?

Thank you for your consideration.

I use Hazel to deal with this. Admittedly I use Hazel to do other things as well; if all you wanted it to do was to delete expired OF backups, you might find it difficult to justify the $22 USD cost of admission…

I really think this should be built in to the app

I concur. Use Help --> Send Feedback to submit your feature request.

Curt

I've sent them a help request about this - let's hope they do something about it (between Time Machine, rsync, iPhone, and DropBox I already have it backed up).

One other thing might help you--when you notice the Growl alert saying that a backup has been made, click on it. You'll be taken to the new backup, and of course the folder it sits in. Clean out as many as you want, and you can quickly go back to OF. True, it's not automatic, but it does allow you to decide what you want to toss directly. I found I was using a combination of date and file size to decide.
Maybe you already knew this, but I just discovered it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
I really think this should be built in to the app
I agree as well...

We really think it should be built-in also: it's on our list.

Any chance of adding an auto-archiving feature too? In fact, couldn't both operations be combined to run on a user-defined schedule (e.g. once per month)?