The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Check for Updates UI Deficiency Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just installed OmniFocus on a new machine and was greeted with the preferences pane that tells me "OmniFocus can automatically check for updates". Fair enough, but you don't give me the user critical information to enable me to know whether I want to place a check mark in the selection box. That information being, "what are you going to do one you find an update?". Are you go to:
A. Inform me that an update is available, in which case I want to enable the feature.
B. Update the software for me automatically, in which case I don't want to enable the feature.

This comes from living primarily in a Windows world, maybe Mac apps don't allow themselves to be updated automatically? In which case my comment is off base.

On another UI subject, unless I missed something obvious, you sure do make it hard to find a link to these forums anywhere on your website. I had to search Google to find them. Why don't you have a prominent "Community" link or similar somewhere on your website? I looked all over under support, unless it's hidden in one of the FAQ's I did not see it.

Thanks for listening.

If you opt into automatically checking for updates, it will automatically *check* for updates and inform you about them, but not automatically *install* those updates. Thanks for pointing out that this could be clearer.

I'm not sure why we don't make these forums more obvious, but emailing us is a more reliable way to get in touch with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Haddad View Post
On another UI subject, unless I missed something obvious, you sure do make it hard to find a link to these forums anywhere on your website. I had to search Google to find them. Why don't you have a prominent "Community" link or similar somewhere on your website? I looked all over under support, unless it's hidden in one of the FAQ's I did not see it.
Sorry you had trouble finding these forums! There's a link to them in the bottom left corner of our home page and each of our product pages—but since you weren't seeing that link it might not be doing its job.

Ah ya, I see it now, you hid that really well :). I think most people are going to search under one of the main headings. The first place I usually look is under support, if a company has a forum I expect it to be listed prominently there.