The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Please move datafile to Documents folder Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
My mom "puts" files into her Documents folder, and her "backup" is copying her Documents folder somewhere on occasion.

(Yes, I keep meaning to set up something automated for her. It's in OmniFocus. On Hold.)
On some occasion, based on the content of the task, OmniFocus should take the liberty to set back the project to active and set a short due date.

For release 2.0?

What's funny about the current situation is that you can change the location of the backups, but not the location of the current data. When I first started with OF, I changed the backups location to be under ~/Documents, not realizing that it didn't apply to the current data file.

I have mixed feelings about using ~/Library/Application Support for storing the data file. On the other hand, if it does go under ~/Documents, the location MUST be configurable, in my opinion.

I've stopped using the Documents folder because so many apps abuse the folder. I've created a folder in my home folder called File Storage for all of my files and left the Documents folder to the misbehaving apps. I don't like trawling through a lot of folders that I haven't created when dealing with my files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonC View Post
I've stopped using the Documents folder because so many apps abuse the folder. I've created a folder in my home folder called File Storage for all of my files and left the Documents folder to the misbehaving apps. I don't like trawling through a lot of folders that I haven't created when dealing with my files.
Me, too. I use *File Cabinet (with the asterisk).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonC View Post
And I use a folder called Work

Yep... me to...

I created 4 folders in my Documents folder:
•--projects
•-art
•-completed projects
•-reading
•-reference
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

That last folder of circles gives me visual boarder between the folders I use and all the other folders created in my documents folders by applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
That last folder of circles gives me visual boarder between the folders I use and all the other folders created in my documents folders by applications.
That's a good idea. Thanks.

At least make it obvious, somehow, where this data is stored. (Forgive me if it *is* somewhere obvious, but I looked in Preferences, searched for Omni on the disk, searched for disk, file, storage, document etc. in the Help, etc.) I have a bunch of cruft in the Category list from previous Kinkless imports that I wanted to clear out, and was going crazy trying to find the d**n document on disk.

Also, on a related topic, there's still a "close" command in the File menu, but not an "open" command....

Well apparently it's not obvious, but OmniFocus follows the Mac's standard conventions for documents…

If you Command-Click on the title bar of any document window (again, this works in any application, not just OmniFocus), you'll get a popup which shows the hierarchy of folders that leads to that document. You can select any of the folders from the popup to open it in the Finder.

(Also, if you don't care where a document is but just want to start dragging it somewhere else, you can click on the document icon in the title bar, wait half a second until it turns dark, then drag it to wherever you want to drop it.)