The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Praying for "hard sync only" option Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I do have an Airport option there. I thought you had to have an Airport Express to be able to use that.

So, will this work for me? If so, I will jump for joy.

Might you tell me just a little bit more about this option? Where is the wireless signal coming from?

Thanks. This gives me some amount of hope that maybe I will get to keep OF.

The Mac and iPhone can talk to each other over WiFi, even if there's no Airport Express (or other WiFi base station) to connect them to the internet.

You can have the Mac act as the base station by using the Internet Sharing option in the Sharing pane in System Preferences. You don't actually have to share connectivity with your other, "real" network connection, either, if there's some concern about that at your workplace.

You guys are great. Thanks.

Is there a link or place where I could go learn the steps to make this happen?

I will confess that I am looking into switching away from OF. But this is making me rethink that.

Thanks so much.

You bet! Open System Preferences, click on Sharing, then click on Internet Sharing. You'll see a Help button (with a question mark) in the bottom right corner of the window: click on it, and it will tell you how to set up Internet Sharing.

Thanks so much.

are you really saying that I can sync OF on my iPhone with my desktop on local network without any of the webDav or mobileme stuff? I don't need to sync every hour away from my desk - just morning and evening at my desk would be great and would make OF perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
are you really saying that I can sync OF on my iPhone with my desktop on local network without any of the webDav or mobileme stuff? I don't need to sync every hour away from my desk - just morning and evening at my desk would be great and would make OF perfect for me.
Uh, no, that's not quite what is being said, at least not for the current software. Eventually, that should be the case, but you can't do it yet.

What is apparently in the works is support in the desktop version so that an iPhone OmniFocus on the same WiFi network can sync directly without having to have a MobileMe (or other WebDAV server) account. There's been some interest in having iPhone OmniFocus sync directly over the USB cable like iTunes does, but Apple doesn't allow 3rd party developers access to that conduit, which is why Omni was forced to build the current WebDAV-based scheme. That road has proved bumpier than anyone expected, I suspect :) The good news is that presumably with everything under their control, Omni will be able to make the standalone WiFi sync server work well before it ships, instead of having to go through this painful discovery process again.

What the original poster and Ken and Lizard and I were talking about is how one would go about setting up this upcoming WiFi service if you didn't have a WiFi network already in place. Sorry to get your hopes up!

But if Smudge has a WiFi-enabled Mac (as I apparently do -- so I now know), then Smudge will be able to do exactly what Smudge is asking for -- when this updated OF sync process is available. Right?

Correct.