The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mouseless editing of tables in Outline sidebar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying to put together an Entity-Relationship diagram, using tables as the entities, i.e.: entity name in the first row, attributes in the second row.

When I press "return" I'll get a new table and be able to edit the first row. How do I edit the second row? OmniGraffle is helpfully adding the table with two rows since the first object I placed on the page was the two-row table from the UML stencil. At present I have to click on the "expand" handle to the right, then click the "Attribute / Attribute" text in the row, at which point I can edit that second row for that object. Pressing down arrow will go to the next object, setting me up to edit the second row for subsequent objects.

What I'd like to know is how I can edit the second row after editing the first row.

Bizarrely, if I have all the entries in the Outline sidebar collapsed, arrowing down the list will place the cursor in the first row of the next table while arrowing up the list will place the cursor in the last row of the previous table.

So I guess I'd be happy to know how to edit the first row after editing the second/last row, too :)

I'm not sure I am doing the same thing you are doing, but I was able to move about through table cells with tab and shift-tab...

Tab and Shift+Tab in the outline sidebar will indent/outdent items and simultaneously rearrange them in the drawing to be "hierarchical".

One nifty shortcut that isn't in the documentation: instead of Command+return, you can use fn+return or Enter to get new lines in table cells!

Try shift-return with a table entry selected in the sidebar. That seems to get me into the mode where tab and shift-tab work.

Nope =(

Tab / Shift+Tab still do the demote/promote thing (indent/unindent).

Okay, here's what I did:

New document, create a rectangle, duplicate it, line them up neatly, select all, Make table. Open outline section. Pressing <Tab> gets me into the text label box for the first cell of the table. I typed "Entity 1", <tab>, "Attribute 1", <esc>, then <cmd>-<option>-' to create another table element. At this point, <tab> and <shift>-<tab> move me through all of the cells of the table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-01 at 11.34.11 PM.png
Views:	488
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2360