The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Streaming MP3s Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a subscriber to eMusic, which includes samples of songs in the form of streaming MP3s. However, whenever I click on the link for a song sample in OW, what happens is the download window opens, I get a .m3u file that populates my desktop, iTunes automatically fires up, then the song clip is added to my iTunes library, then iTunes plays the song clip, then iTunes will play the next song alphabetically in my Library. So after listening to the song, I have to go into my library and delete its icon, plus the icon on my desktop. That's a lot of work for song clips!

In the short term, I am wondering how I can change my OW/other settings so that ideally, .m3u clips would never download to my desktop and would instead open in a separate QT window without my ever having to delete anything. Pure streaming nirvana.

In the long term, is there a possibility OW could change the way .m3u files are handled by default, or at least make it intuitive to change the behavior? Thanks.

Steve

OW is probably just handing off to the helper application specified for that filetype - in this case, m3u files are associated with iTunes on your system. Just Cmd+i on a sample file, go to the Open With tab, select QuickTime, then click "Change All..." and confirm. That will probably fix the issue. It's possible you'll need to log out or reboot before it really takes effect.