The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forecast Suggestion Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey all,

I figured I'd write this here to see what people thought of a potential addition to the way "Forecast" mode works.

It would be nice if in the settings, there was a toggle to show items that have a Start Date in Forecast mode. When viewing forecast mode with the toggle set, each day could be divided into two "Sections" - "Due" and "Starting".

I know this isn't traditional GTD, but I'm thinking it would help me get a beat on an action/task before the actual due date. This would be especially helpful for things that take an exceptionally long time to accomplish. Let me provide an example..

I currently have about 500 items and around 40 projects available in my OF (and I'm still migrating new projects/items from my old system everyday). I have a few tasks that are part of sub-sub-sub-projects and they're buried pretty deep. Let's say I have a task that takes 2 weeks to accomplish (I set myself 1 hour a day to work on it for two weeks). With the current implementation, I will often miss the start date (I know I would find it if I reviewed all my projects on a regular basis, but that's sometimes not possible). If there was an option to show actions that have a start date in Forecast mode, it would almost act as a reminder that I need to get to work on that task.

The fact that it would be a simple toggle (default to OFF) would not have an effect on most users, but I'm sure would help out users such as myself who having a million things to do.

Best,

I totally agree. It seems like there could be much more information put into the forecast view. I would love to know when things are coming available to keep track of how much will be on my plate in the coming week.

I also agree. A toggle between start date and due date in the forecast setting could be the answer. I have tasks that take weeks to complete (I set the start date for a reason). This would also retain flexibility within the GTD ethos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus26 View Post
I totally agree. It seems like there could be much more information put into the forecast view. I would love to know when things are coming available to keep track of how much will be on my plate in the coming week.
If start dates and end dates were used in the WebDAV Cal (rather than just end dates) this would be good way of seeing what is on your plate.

Last edited by s.j.massey; 2010-08-24 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: Insert quote

A nice simple suggestion - I'll email in and request it as a feature. You should all do the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRArseneau View Post
Hey all,

I figured I'd write this here to see what people thought of a potential addition to the way "Forecast" mode works.

It would be nice if in the settings, there was a toggle to show items that have a Start Date in Forecast mode. When viewing forecast mode with the toggle set, each day could be divided into two "Sections" - "Due" and "Starting".

I know this isn't traditional GTD, but I'm thinking it would help me get a beat on an action/task before the actual due date. This would be especially helpful for things that take an exceptionally long time to accomplish. Let me provide an example..

I currently have about 500 items and around 40 projects available in my OF (and I'm still migrating new projects/items from my old system everyday). I have a few tasks that are part of sub-sub-sub-projects and they're buried pretty deep. Let's say I have a task that takes 2 weeks to accomplish (I set myself 1 hour a day to work on it for two weeks). With the current implementation, I will often miss the start date (I know I would find it if I reviewed all my projects on a regular basis, but that's sometimes not possible). If there was an option to show actions that have a start date in Forecast mode, it would almost act as a reminder that I need to get to work on that task.

The fact that it would be a simple toggle (default to OFF) would not have an effect on most users, but I'm sure would help out users such as myself who having a million things to do.

Best,

Yes, yes, yes! This is the first thing I thought was needed when I started playing with Omnifocus on my wife's iPad. My use of hard due dates is very light, but I sure am a believer that Omnifocus' most useful feature is 'being able to hide stuff from yourself' IE start dates!

Please, please do this!

al b

Yes, I would like to have this feature too. The due date often is hard linked to the start date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuengling View Post
Yes, I would like to have this feature too. The due date often is hard linked to the start date.
Don't forget to email your feature requests to Omni to get your vote counted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.j.massey View Post
I also agree. A toggle between start date and due date in the forecast setting could be the answer. I have tasks that take weeks to complete (I set the start date for a reason). This would also retain flexibility within the GTD ethos.
Yeah, I've only had OF4iPad for about a week and just learned that the items for which I set a start-date-only for the end of the week are now invisible until that day arrives... and here I am!

Please add me to the list of those requesting this feature!

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitetoo View Post
Please add me to the list of those requesting this feature!
You need to add yourself by using the Contact Omni function under the gear menu...forum posts don't get added to the development database, but email to support does.