The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location-based (GPS) Notifications Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi.

Are there any plans to integrate GPS location based notifications? This would be my dream setup for all the shopping tasks and other errands.

Imagine while driving home from work, your phone would vibrate when driving by home depot while you have an available task to get something from there. This are the kind of tasks everybody seems always to forget about. It would be nice if you could set a range around contexts, like alert me if I am less than x miles / kilometers away from that spot.

That would be awesome,
Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Imagine while driving home from work, your phone would vibrate when driving by home depot while you have an available task to get something from there.
Imagine while driving home from work, you miss an important phone call because the constant GPS polling of OmniFocus drained the battery until the phone shut off.

If Omni Group implements this, I would hope there would be a way to turn it off.

We're working on location-based notifications for OmniFocus 1.8 for iPhone.

To address ifonline's concern: yes, you can turn it off, but it doesn't actually use much additional power because its location tracking is based on changes to which cell tower is nearest (which the phone has to track anyway to receive calls) rather than using the GPS (which, as you point out, would drain power much more quickly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
...but it doesn't actually use much additional power because its location tracking is based on changes to which cell tower is nearest (which the phone has to track anyway to receive calls) rather than using the GPS (which, as you point out, would drain power much more quickly).
Interesting implementation. I doubt I will use it, but I'm interested in trying it out nevertheless as I am open to the idea as long as battery life doesn't suffer.

Quote:
Wow, sounds great. I am really looking forward to this.

Thanks,
Julian

What happened to the location based notifications?

Quote:

To address ifonline's concern: yes, you can turn it off, but it doesn't actually use much additional power because its location tracking is based on changes to which cell tower is nearest (which the phone has to track anyway to receive calls) rather than using the GPS (which, as you point out, would drain power much more quickly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
What happened to the location based notifications?
Still coming. AFAIK, we're not sure exactly when, but yeah, it's coming. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Still coming. AFAIK, we're not sure exactly when, but yeah, it's coming. :-)
Nice! :-)