The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature/UI Requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder
I personally still like the tabbed drawer. Esp when I want the window full screen that way if I need to see the tabs I just pull out the tab drawer and hide it when necessary. The window will change size to accommodate accordingly.
Have to agree with you there, and the fact that you can choose which side you want the tabs to appear on... I like a little choice. :)

I guess you could try to compromise for everyone and offer docking of the drawer as a sidebar (iCal's palette can attach as a drawer, which is how I use it.)

It's a bit of a tightrope avoiding 'featuritis', IMHO the drawer is the best available solution, but it depends how strongly people feel. ;)

Actually, being able to choose a side is a big plus for a drawer I agree. Its not something I feel very strongly about, and the drawer works great, its just an overall look thing. On my lists of wants, find as you type and improving the downloads window and favourites bar are much higher up! ;o)

I love the tabbed drawer.

Find as you type, certainly.

The favourites bar needs a visual overhaul... Must be some way to integrate in the unified toolbar and i don't know if the folder icon is the best.

In OW 5.5, when there are more tabs open that can fit in the tab drawer, a scroll bar appears next to the drawer, and allows the user to scroll through all open tabs. Furthermore, if the user wants to relocate a tab to a different location within the tab drawer, so that the tab is next to one or more related tabs, the user simply drags and drops the tab to be relocated; however, the drag and drop limits the user to re-positioning the tab within only the displayed portion of the tab drawer. OW should automatically detect if I'm dragging a tab above the top of the tab drawer, or below the bottom of the tab drawer, and then, if there are more tabs in the direction in which I am dragging, OW should scroll up or down to reveal those tabs as I continue to drag, so that I can drop the tab into the new location.

Currently, without that feature, I have to drag tabs to a temporary location closer to the intended destination, drop, scroll to reveal the next tab-drawer screenful closer to the destination, and then repeat, often five or ten times. That's trivial code to write, and would save a lot of time.

If I drag a new link to the tab drawer and move to the top or bottom, the drawer does scroll. It was a little picky about where I put the thing I was dragging, but I'm getting it to scroll. That also worked for rearranging the tabs. I'm using sp15.

IMHO I think Shiira has at least got the tabs/drawer thing right. This has probably something to do with my screen (1024x768) and the inability to view many web sites full width when the drawer is open with tabs.:rolleyes:

On my 12" PB, I can view most sites without side to side scrolling, with the tab drawer open and the dock positioned to the side.

I'm not sure I explained the problem correctly. Do the following:

1. Create a new window
2. Open, say, twenty tabs (Command-T twenty times, e.g.)
3. Scroll to the top of tab drawer
4. Grab the top tab in the tab drawer, and try to drag it down so that it comes after the twentieth tab.

On my system, i can't do step (4) above, because OW doesn't scroll the tab drawer past the bottom _displayed_ tab. I can't scroll down to the region of the tab drawer below that bottom _displayed_ tab.

I'm not sure I explained the problem correctly. Do the following:

1. Create a new window
2. Open, say, twenty tabs (Command-T twenty times, e.g.)
3. Scroll to the top of tab drawer
4. Grab the top tab in the tab drawer, and try to drag it down so that it comes after the twentieth tab.

On my system, i can't do step (4) above, because OW doesn't scroll the tab drawer past the bottom _displayed_ tab. I can't scroll down to the region of the tab drawer below that bottom _displayed_ tab.

I just followed your steps, and the tabs to scroll for me.