The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Project/Context bar doesn't remember it's width Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a fairly wide screen (27" iMac) and would like the bar on the left of the OmniFocus UI to be wider than the default. I can drag the bar to make it wider, but it doesn't seem to remember the width.

For example, if I'm using a "Projects" view and then widen the bar, then click "Contexts" then the bar drops back to being narrow again. Even when I switch back to "Projects" it stays narrow.

I think the bar should remember how wide it was the last time the user made an adjustment — preferably it should remember it for each mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post
I have a fairly wide screen (27" iMac) and would like the bar on the left of the OmniFocus UI to be wider than the default. I can drag the bar to make it wider, but it doesn't seem to remember the width.
I've noticed this, too. Is there something for this in the preferences, or should OF just remember the width(s)?

Column width is set with the perspective-from the help file:

Your column visibility and width settings can be saved with your perspective if you select the Restore Layout option, so you can keep different settings for different situations.

Set the checkbox to restore the layout, set the sidebar and column widths where you want it, and take a snapshot of your perspective.

It's also worth knowing how to set the default column widths and visibility. To set the defaults, close all but one OmniFocus window. Set the columns the way you want them. Close the window, which tells OmniFocus to remember the settings. This is also how you customize the Quick Entry window.

Thanks — that works: if I use the "Save Window As" menu item under the "Perspectives" menu to overwrite each perspective then it works great.

Last edited by PaulSorensen; 2011-04-19 at 06:55 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Column width is set with the perspective-from the help file:

Your column visibility and width settings can be saved with your perspective if you select the Restore Layout option, so you can keep different settings for different situations.

Set the checkbox to restore the layout, set the sidebar and column widths where you want it, and take a snapshot of your perspective.
From the perspectives help section
"Restore Layout — Select this to make the perspective remember the window size, window position, and columns of the window you saved. Otherwise, your existing window will keep its layout when you open the perspective."

In OmniFocus 1.9 it doesn't remember window size no matter what I do. It will resize columns to be wider or narrower but adjust other columns to be the same size and postion as the current window.

The only way I have found to get the window to be the same size as you set is to be sure to also check "Always open in a new window" this seems like a bug to me but maybe not?

If it is not a bug it seems like the help should say it remembers the window size only if you select "Always open in a new window" & "Restore Layout".

Am I missing something?

Failing to restore window size as you describe has been broken for a while; I am unable to find a version in which it works properly since the feature appeared in 1.7!

Two years later and the window size issue continues. I guess all bets are off until 2.0 arrives.