The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Call for OmniGraffle stencil requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking for stencils to realize Grafcet diagrams. Any idea?

Hi,
I am looking for a stencil for quickly making diagrams of linked list structures (e.g. linked lists, binary search trees, 2 - 3 trees, etc.. ) any suggestions?
Thanks
Josh

How about Piping symbols? Valves, pumps, heat exchangers, boilers, chillers, etc. It would be helpfull for making sketches for installs that the crew/engineers could understand.
Here are a couple of examples
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...ow_sheets.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piping_and_instrumentation_diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousstranger View Post
Likewise. I haven't found a good way of doing this yet.
Thirding this request. The lack of an ethernet stencil is one of the only things keeping me using Visio.

With no trolling in mind, it seems to me that those people who are looking for specific stencil sets which don't exist to date, might think about creating them themselves and posting on Graffletopia. I'm not in a line of work that would need any such set, but if I were, that is what I would do. For instance, if you have the set in Visio — which I've never used — why not create a diagram of using the elements you want, import it into OmniGraffle, tweak the elements the way you want them and then save them as stencils? Or is that illegal, piracy? Do you have to start from scratch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
With no trolling in mind, it seems to me that those people who are looking for specific stencil sets which don't exist to date, might think about creating them themselves and posting on Graffletopia. I'm not in a line of work that would need any such set, but if I were, that is what I would do.
That's exactly right. It is a bit silly waiting for someone else to do it (after all we do have OmniGraffle), and crying about them not having done it yet.

Personally, for me anyway, there were "stencils" available, but they were just simple drawings, not what I would call stencils, no thought re: applicable standards, rulers and alignment, handles, appropriate lines for the type of drawing etc. So with my own advice in mind, I created my own. Now that they are stable and tested for a few years, I have uploaded them to Graffletopia:
Data Flow Diagram (SSADM)
Entity Relation Diagram (ERD)
Data Model (IDEF1X)

I have a few more, I will upload when they are stable.

Quote:
For instance, if you have the set in Visio — which I've never used — why not create a diagram of using the elements you want, import it into OmniGraffle, tweak the elements the way you want them and then save them as stencils? Or is that illegal, piracy? Do you have to start from scratch?
That is plagiary, or theft of another person's work, you are better off starting from scratch; you might even come up with better symbols if you do it yourself.

Having said that, if the work (is not protected by copyright, and it is published in the public domain (and Visio is not public domain, you have to license it), you can copy the work and use it. In which case, you should always provide credit to the original author (otherwise it is plagiary).

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-05-02 at 06:48 AM..

SonicWALL stencils would be great!

It would be really useful to have cross-functional (also called swimlanes) process flow functionality. I know that Omniplan uses swimlanes however I need to work with Visio originals and exchange documents with Windows users. Visio has a cross-functional stencil that basically has a resizable swimlane and a divider.

Thanks! Love OmniGraffle as much as I loved Diagram! back in the day.
Tim

Folks,
I'm doing some electrical schematic / wiring work for aircraft. I would love to see Omnigraffle with a stencil set for aviation related electrical schematic diagrams.

Is anyone aware of this? I checked Graffletopia and couldn't find anything. Those were more electronics focused.

I've revised this post to include a link to example of electrical architecture / symbol examples:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adob...itecture_Pdfs/

Further description of the symbols can be found in the AeroElectric Connection chapter 1 "DC Wiring & Fundamentals".

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Book/AEC12A_PDF.zip

Thanks,
Howard

Last edited by hplevyak; 2011-01-14 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Revising to include link of schematic symbol examples

In general, it seems like it would be helpful if those folks asking for stencils for XYZ could post links to pages showing lists of useful symbols for doing XYZ. Someone else looking for an OmniGraffle learning project but not knowing beans about XYZ could have a look and see if it looked to be an interesting exercise, and have some confidence that if they did a good job, the result might actually be of some use. In other words, help others help you!