The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Link to OmniGroup on Forum page Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It would be really nice to have a simple link to OmniGroup's main site on the Forum page. My preference would be on the top, perhaps a line just under 'forums.omnigroup.com' under the logo? I don't think I have ever before seen a product related forum that did not have such a link to the product's main site! :confused:

And if there is already such a link, then I have two requests: (1) tell me where it is; and (2) make it bigger or more obvious so I can find it....


And, thanks for a collection of fine, fine programs.

Peter
 
By default it should be in your Favorites bar ;)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
By default it should be in your Favorites bar ;)
True. And by default it *was* in my Favorites bar. But the Favorites bar got crowded and I did some weeding :D , limiting myself to those links I visit most often (and that are not linked by another favorite).

I am here in the forum at least 3 days a week. The two circumstances that send me to OG itself are:
  • An announcement of an update, in which case I don't need a favorite or a link; and
  • An item being discussed in the Forum.

Pretty much every other support forum I participate in includes a link to the product or main section: Adobe, Citrix, PostNuke, Reunion, Dartmouth, Smarty, MySQL, Logician......

I say, give the user the maximum number of options possible for individual workflows. And how hard :confused: could it possibly be for the Forum to have a link to OG?

Just my opinion of course, but I'm sticking to it.....;)

Peter
 
IMHO, it's poor practice to have a forum have different design/nav than the rest of the site.

Btw, what I did was remove the text to the favorite and I just use its favicon.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheski
Pretty much every other support forum I participate in includes a link to the product or main section: Adobe, Citrix, PostNuke, Reunion, Dartmouth, Smarty, MySQL, Logician......

I say, give the user the maximum number of options possible for individual workflows. And how hard :confused: could it possibly be for the Forum to have a link to OG?

Just my opinion of course, but I'm sticking to it.....;)

Peter
Interestingly, if you click on the logo at the top of the forum page, it takes you to the index page, but you can already go there by clicking on the "The Omni Group Forums" entry in the hierarchy list at the head of the thread you are reading. Why not make the OMNI logo at the head of the page a link to the main OmniGroup site. I run without any toolbars most of the time, bringing up the location bar when I need it, or very occasionally the favourites bar--the few sites that I link to every day, like this one, are tabs in my default workspace, so I don't really need a favourites bar all the time--so, although it's not much trouble to call up the location bar and type "omnigroup"-and that could even be given a shortcut, say "og", if I could be bothered--it would still be a better use of the OMNI logo as a link, it seems to me.
My two ha'p'orth.
Mark
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese
Interestingly, if you click on the logo at the top of the forum page, it takes you to the index page, but you can already go there by clicking on the "The Omni Group Forums" entry in the hierarchy list at the head of the thread you are reading. Why not make the OMNI logo at the head of the page a link to the main OmniGroup site. I run without any toolbars most of the time, bringing up the location bar when I need it, or very occasionally the favourites bar--the few sites that I link to every day, like this one, are tabs in my default workspace, so I don't really need a favourites bar all the time--so, although it's not much trouble to call up the location bar and type "omnigroup"-and that could even be given a shortcut, say "og", if I could be bothered--it would still be a better use of the OMNI logo as a link, it seems to me.
My two ha'p'orth.
Mark
vBulletin is really a "web site in a box" type app. (I refuse to call it a CMS.) In this instance, it's only be used as a forum. So for the sites that use it as a boxed site, the vB home page is the site's home page as well. That's not the case with the omni site. I'm not saying your comment isn't accurate, I'm just explaining why the logo goes to the forum home page.
 
And, if I recall (it has been a while), vBulletin allows one to customize/edit both the header and the footer. (As well as create one's own templates.) I think it is a pretty simple task to add a link to OG in either the header or the footer.

Just a link on the left in the blue bar at the bottom with the Contact Us link would be fine.

I think I'll contact them....

Peter
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
By default it should be in your Favorites bar ;)
cough cough....;)

And if someone happens to be using FF or Safari at that particular moment? At work, for example, I have no access to my Mac. :(


Peter
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
vBulletin is really a "web site in a box" type app. (I refuse to call it a CMS.) In this instance, it's only be used as a forum. So for the sites that use it as a boxed site, the vB home page is the site's home page as well. That's not the case with the omni site. I'm not saying your comment isn't accurate, I'm just explaining why the logo goes to the forum home page.
I'm not a programmer or anything but the most elementary site-designer when it comes to the web--for historical reasons I use GoLive! when I need to do anything on my personal sites, which I guess professionals would be horrified to hear ;) and they'd probably be appalled at the results--so although I can imagine a "web site in a box", I have no idea what CMS stands for, I'm afraid.
And yes, I understand why what happens might well be the case. I also assume that it wouldn't actually be too difficult to change that bit of the code. I was merely thinking in terms of ... well the way I think, as a hopefully not un-intelligent user of software, the web and imaging.
Mark :)
 
CMS = Content Management System (e.g., Mambo, Joomla, Drupal, e107, MODx, etc.)
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
missing Link: OmniGroup format marcussommer@mac.com Omni Lounge 1 2010-08-06 10:23 AM
Jump to forum link at bottom of thread SpiralOcean Forums Feedback 2 2007-07-08 12:38 PM
Forum Blog-link xiamenese Forums Feedback 1 2007-01-03 01:19 PM
Omnigroup forum renders improperly daiyi666@yahoo.com OmniWeb Bug Reports 1 2006-08-03 08:33 AM
Omnigroup Forum Login Credentials not stored technomage OmniWeb Bug Reports 1 2006-05-12 04:22 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.