The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Build 96262 messes up styling Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anyone else seen this?

Build 96262 seems to have reintroduced an earlier styling bug, in which the styles of actions and projects were linked. I just changed the style for unavailable actions to italic, and that changed the style for unavailable (pending or on hold) projects to regular italic (i.e., no longer bold). Boldfacing the pending projects also boldfaces the unavailable actions.

I haven't tried with available actions, for fear of messing things up further!

(sent as feedback)

Edited to add: the bug is still there in 96278.

It sounds like your edits are getting applied to the 'blocked' style (which can be used for either actions or projects). The Mac OS X basic style system doesn't have the ability to style font face / italic / weight separately and so it is setting an entire font on the style and the new information is blocking the project style information.

I'll have to think about this a bit; but definitely send feedback. We may not be able to solve this for real until we add full styling preferences.

Thanks for the explanation; I've already sent feedback.

I'm curious why the same styling is used for blocked actions and blocked projects, when different styling is used for available actions and available projects. Couldn't you just differentiate the styles for blocked actions and blocked projects? Or would that require something under the hood that's more complicated than it looks?

The blocked action style is a cascading style of 'normal action' + 'blocked' (and likewise for projects). When a style change comes in, we currently apply it to the most specific style (blocked in this case, which makes it hit both blocked actions and blocked projects).

In the other case, you just have the 'normal action' and 'normal project' styles, which aren't the same and so your changes work out.

The core problem here is that setting a font on the 'blocked' set the font family, size, weight and italic (since Apple wraps up all these orthogonal concepts into one "font" object). Our styling system can handle the distinction, but with out the style inspectors from OmniOutliner you don't have a way to directly edit *just* the italic setting. Apple's style machinery gather the composite font from the selection, edited that and then pushed the whole thing back at us.