The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Software Idea - Kill photoshop Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Another option would be for more apple developers to get involved with the GIMP project. (Or the OSX native build Seashore). It would be difficult for any one company to take on Photoshop. But all of us could help make Seashore a strong option.

GIMP, and the limited Seashore, are far from what I want, and trying to get them to do simple things is a pain in the butt.

I wish Adobe would bring SuperPaint back, but I don't think that will happen.

SC

If people are still looking for a cheaper Photoshop substitute (not replacement), check out Pixelmator.

It is pretty simple, still has all the necessary basics and works really well!

http://www.pixelmator.com

And there are two other projects similar to Pixelmator, one released and one upcoming after Leopard comes out. The reason for all this activity is that the Mac's core graphics routines allow programmers to just do an interface, and *boom*, they have an image editor.

I tried Pixelmater. Nice, but the problem is that although I only use a small subset of Photoshop's features, I use particular esoteric features of Photoshop a lot, and it's unlikely that they will turn up in these new programs anytime soon. The features are mostly automating and labor saving aspects that Photoshop has that allow a whole string of effects to be applied in one shot, shadows, gradient overlays, outlines, etc.

Use Gimp. Not Aqua, but powerfull.

I did some builds:

www.wilber-loves-apple.org

Why pay for some huppy fluppy coreimage tools, who looks great, but has limited functions. Gimp ist really powerfull and open-source.

By the way. Seashore ist not Gimp. It's based on an old version and has only limited functions.