The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iCal To Do Items to Events Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Clearly there are a large number of us who would like to see OF work well with a calendar, in some cases even turning tasks into events. Regardless of what DA says, I simply call that planning my day/time. Some of us just want to see everything we need to do today in one place, whether it be a scheduled or an unscheduled task.

Some of our burden comes from the limits that Apple places on iCal and it's To Do list. And OF has to live with some of those limits. I too wish OF would selectively sync to Apple events rather than or in addition to tasks. It would also work for me if OF synced to tasks and Apple would provide a link from To Do tasks to events I manually schedule from those To Dos (drag a To Do item to the calendar). I agree with other posters that links would serve us all well (remembering Claris Organizer and Personal Organizer).

Here is one solution via OF w/ iCal:
Have OF sync to iCal's To Do list, then drag the To Dos to the calendar as you see fit to schedule them. Be sure "Include each action's context in its calendar item title" is checked in OF iCal preferences to make it easier to find the associated To Do list/OF items later.

Get OF on an iPhone or iPod touch to serve you when you are away from your computer.

Hope that Omni soon provides a way to more narrowly select what gets synced to iCal (I like the Flag idea; sync only Flagged items).

Last edited by dancingbrook; 2009-07-18 at 08:20 PM..

It appears that they are already working on something as the iPhone version is due to get time-based notifications in a future update (owing to the unsuitability of Push notifications). Read the first post in this thread:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12654

I'm not sure which posting you are referring to. If you right-click on the Post # it will give you a link to the specific posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Read the first post in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingbrook View Post
I'm not sure which posting you are referring to.
Which part of "first post" (emphasis mine) wasn't clear? :)

What is being referred to is the about-to-be-released feature where OmniFocus will populate a new iCal calendar with microscopic events corresponding to due times for actions and projects and thus get the calendar app on the iPhone to post time-based notifications even if OmniFocus isn't running. You can read more about it in this post: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...70&postcount=8 and its containing thread.

Read too fast and miss too much. :o

And might I add that the future looks brighter.:)

Thanks,

Last edited by dancingbrook; 2009-07-17 at 09:41 PM..