The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How "soon" is "Soon"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You all know I'm only asking something everyone else wants to know. The blog post said "Soon...but not tomorrow".......I've been okay with that...but, now that it's the 11th day of the month, could we possibly have that statement narrowed down?...a bit more specific.....you don't have to commit to a definite date, just something a LITTLE more specific? Will I see OF for iPad THIS month? Or....you think more likely NEXT month? Please.....throw us dogs a little meat here...just to keep us momentarily satisfied!! ;)

Last edited by MissKaren; 2010-07-11 at 09:43 AM..

So if Omni Group says "Okay, we expect to have the iPad version within the month" and then that time frame comes and goes... then what? What are you going to post next? Will it be something along the lines of "Once again they missed their deadline!"

Does OmniFocus work for you now? Since there has never been an OmniFocus for the iPad, you aren't actually missing anything, are you? Your productivity can't be based on using the iPad, so what's the rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
So if Omni Group says "Okay, we expect to have the iPad version within the month" and then that time frame comes and goes... then what? What are you going to post next? Will it be something along the lines of "Once again they missed their deadline!"

Does OmniFocus work for you now? Since there has never been an OmniFocus for the iPad, you aren't actually missing anything, are you? Your productivity can't be based on using the iPad, so what's the rush?
so what the person is just wondering about a when the company is going to give us an update that is meaningful. big deal. No need to be such a sheep about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post

Why do I sense such hostility? All I'm asking for is something a little more specific than "soon"- a fairly common request seen throughout each thread and also on the blog post. Of course I don't feel like Omnifocus works for me! How absurd that you would construe that from my post. No, I've never had OF on my iPad....but my iPad is replacing my Macbook more and more, as new apps are developed and available. And...since I am relying more and more each day on my iPad, yes... my productivity IS getting to the point where it is based on my iPad. All I asked for was a "guestament"- a "vague" point in time that will at least lift my hopes about OF for iPad finally coming to fruition. AND...I have not been one to "chastise" the group just because they have gone beyond some artificial deadline! Sheesh!

Could anyone from Omni Group possibly give us a rough estimate of weeks or 1+ month at least?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKaren View Post
Why do I sense such hostility? All I'm asking for is something a little more specific than "soon"- a fairly common request seen throughout each thread and also on the blog post. Of course I don't feel like Omnifocus works for me! How absurd that you would construe that from my post.
I think you maybe have misunderstood each other on the "does OmniFocus work for you now" bit. My take is that ifonline is saying OmniFocus (the app) works right now, and you aren't unable to work because OmniFocus for iPad hasn't shipped yet, NOT implying that you think Omni Group the company answers to you.

Quote:
No, I've never had OF on my iPad....but my iPad is replacing my Macbook more and more, as new apps are developed and available. And...since I am relying more and more each day on my iPad, yes... my productivity IS getting to the point where it is based on my iPad. All I asked for was a "guestament"- a "vague" point in time that will at least lift my hopes about OF for iPad finally coming to fruition. AND...I have not been one to "chastise" the group just because they have gone beyond some artificial deadline! Sheesh!
So, "soon" isn't vague enough for you? :)

At best, they could tell you what date they expect to submit the app to Apple, but there is no knowing how long Apple will take to approve it, or if they will insist on changes being made. OmniGraphSketcher shipped as 1.0.1, it appears, which suggests to me that such a change had to be made.

From my experience, the Omni developers work long and hard, and care about building great products. They also seem to enjoy collecting our money once the job is done. They don't get to do that until they ship...

Okay....I can admit to my misinterpreting the whole "does Omnifocus work for you now"...and beg forgiveness for immediately jumping to conclusions. Thanks for pointing that out and, as such, I offer humble apologies (while, at the same time, feeling like a complete "ass"!)
Still....yes, OF "works" for me..optimally, if I keep using the Mac version. BUT..like I said, my iPad really IS replacing my MBP, and, as such, I certainly look forward to a time when I won't be tied to the thing in order to obtain optimal use of OF. Especially now that I have developed "issues" with the strength and use of my arms and hands!
I know that once OF has been submitted to Apple, there will be no control as to the actual release date. Having a "clearer" estimate as to when it will be submitted, however, goes a long way towards easing my mind about the length of delay. I truly love OF....it's been a "lifesaver".....but with my physical condition progressively interfering with the use of the Mac version (lugging all of that weight around, for one)....I am at a "hyper-anxious" state regarding the iPad version! Not asking them to hurry...just want an "estimate"- and a
broad one at that (but more definitive than "soon")!! :)

Last edited by MissKaren; 2010-07-11 at 04:20 PM..

I do know that awhile ago, Ken said that the OmniFocus for Mac Sneaky Peak builds automatically push out an update whenever the OmniFocus code is changed. That being said, there have been multiple updates each day, making me assume that not only are the working, they're working very very hard on it.

Those users clearly more anxious about the release aren't necessarily impatient jerks with no sense of the big picture. They may just have a much greater need for this solution than all you cool cats.

To my dear fellow users out there slinging around the old "well, OF _does_ work on the iPad" retort: I'll assume our definitions of "work" differ.

Using OF on iPad, for my workflow, is akin to placing an order for a backhoe and having someone drop off a 20ft long spoon at the job site. Technically, I suppose it works, but come on.

I already hear your response :-) "But all your whining doesn't deliver product faster."

If there was a users-only Omni webcam, where we could see "top men working (mostly) round the clock," there would be far less complaining. Since there's NOT, those of us who may need this SW more urgently need to make sure that the O-Group is aware of that need.

OF runs well on my iMac, SLOW on my MacBook Air, fair on my 3GS. Having a non-pix-doubled iPad version (no dude - I can't jailbreak) is a big deal, REGARDLESS of some of y'all's problems with icons looking weak, etc. Fix that stuff in a rev.

I wonder how many of us would put down, say, $300 right now to guarantee a release a week from now? I would.

Finish strong, Ken and Co. - we're all pulling for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
To my dear fellow users out there slinging around the old "well, OF _does_ work on the iPad" retort: I'll assume our definitions of "work" differ.
What is it, exactly, that makes OF in iPhone emulation on the iPad an unworkable situation for you right now, that simply having a non-pixel-doubled version would fix, as you seem to imply? Not enough rows on the display?