The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Keyboard shortcut to jump to a particular project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
With my current task management solution, I'm able to hit a hotkey that calls up a list of my projects, and I'm able to type the first few letters of the project and hit enter to jump to that project without touching the keyboard. Making the jump to any given project often takes only 3-4 keystrokes.

I'm evaluating OmniFocus, and if I wish to use the keyboard to jump to a project (without entering a new task), I need to hit Command-1 to go to projects, Command-4 to go to the sidebar, and then use the arrow keys to select the project. This can be onerous if there's a long list of projects.

The Quick Entry box allows me to add an entry to a project with as few keystrokes as I'm accustomed to, so I'm surprised I can't find a way of jumping to a project in a similar way -- hit a key, start typing the name of the project, hit enter (or command-something).

Any hints?

Thanks!

I would like to second this request. It's the thing I miss most now, having switched to omnifocus about a month ago.

I don't know what the OP's previous program was, but I used Hit List. Despite being beset by development problems, Hit List has a great implementation for jumping to projects.

Also great is how it lets you use WASD keys for moving and nesting projects and actions. At least you can do this in Omnifocus, just with more cumbersome keyboard combos.

Some further research revealed the Find Project Script, which more or less does what we want.

Problems I have with it:
1) Doesn't have the nice fuzzy matching and visual feedback you get when assigning a project to an action in inbox.

2) Opens a whole new window for the desired project instead of simply selecting it in the library sidebar.

3) Can't assign a keyboard shortcut to it (have to use toolbar button).

Quote:
Opens a whole new window for the desired project instead of simply selecting it in the library sidebar.
  1. Open the script in Applescript Editor
  2. Near the top of the script, edit property pblnNewWin : true
    to property pblnNewWin : false

Quote:
Can't assign a keyboard shortcut to it (have to use toolbar button).
  • Assign a keyboard shortcut with Keyboard Maestro or FastScripts,
  • or use with two-character abbreviation from LaunchBar, and tap space to enter part of project name.

--

Thanks RobTrew. Not as elegant as I would like, but it's a good hack until the devs hopefully embed the functionality.

Quote:
Not as elegant as I would like, but it's a good hack.
:-)

G-d's last message to his creation ?

FWIW, I sometimes use Rob's script and sometimes just use my "Search" perspective. Perspective options:

- Perspective shows all remaining items
- Shortcut set to ⌘⇧F
- Set to always open in new window

Now, just use ⌘⇧F to get to your search window.