The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni Focus for iPad Syncing - WIFI Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i'm on my 14 day trial of the desktop version of Omni Focus, but I already purchased the iPad app. Entered a bunch of things soley on the desktop version and now I'm trying to sync it over to the ipad. I haven't used the iPad version at all yet.

I tried to sync via wifi (I don't have a Mobile Me account) and when i select choose Mac, the iPad searches but can't see my Mac. Not having had a need to share the my MacBook Pro before other than for printer sharing, what do I need to do on the Mac or on the desktop version of Omni Focus to get the iPad to see my Mac?

If I need to purchase the desktop app before it works, I'm cool with that. Just need some help with what to do to get it to work.

Probably the easiest route to take, if you aren't of the "my data is too confidential to store on someone else's computer" persuasion, is to sign up for Omni's sync service, which you can do by going to http://sync.omnigroup.com and requesting an invitation. As long as your iPad and Mac can both access the internet, you shouldn't have any of the trouble that can sometimes arise trying to use the WiFi sync.

First thing to check if trying to get WiFi-based syncing working is that you've get OmniFocus on the Mac running, and have designated it as the server by clicking the "Keep the sync database on this Mac" button in the Sync preferences in OmniFocus. Then, you need to make sure that the Mac and the iPad are connected to the same network. Check the Wi-Fi section of the Settings app on the iPad and the Network Name in the AirPort section of the Network preferences in the Mac's System Preferences and be sure that they match. If everything mentioned here is okay, but the iPad still can't find the Mac, contact the Omni support ninjas for help at 1-800-315-OMNI or omnifocus@omnigroup.com and they can walk you through the troubleshooting.

To answer your question explicitly, no, it isn't necessary to purchase the desktop app to make this work.

I'll try that now.

I did sign up for the beta sync. Waiting for my invite. Thanks again

That worked. The iPad instructions don't make it clear that you need to do the "keep the sync database on this Mac" on the desktop version. Thanks again.

Second this - this should be part of the iPad instructions. I was stumped before I found this thread: since the app stalls and just says "searching" I suspected a network problem, rather than a configuration issue.

Works now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lewis View Post
That worked. The iPad instructions don't make it clear that you need to do the "keep the sync database on this Mac" on the desktop version. Thanks again.
Me three.