The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a way to paste a rough text outline and get to just work in OO? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've used OO for years (and now OO4), but one of my frustrations is that I often have small (or not so small) outlines that exist in text form, with tab indents. Lots of apps make text like that, such as Evernote.

I would love to be able to copy those multiple lines and paste into OO and have each paragraph item be its own outline item, and shown in the hierarchy indicated by the tabs.

I can't see how to do this. Is there a way?

Going the other way, it'd be cool if OO would give the option to use tabs rather than spaces when exporting to show the outline indents. Is there a way do this?

Given all the features in OO4, I feel I must be missing something.

Tab indented text is in fact the only format we work with (for retaining hierarchy). You should be able paste while in row selection mode (not editing something, can toggle with cmd-return) and it'll do exactly what you want. Or you can open it directly as a text file. OO3 does this as well. If this isn't working for you can you send a sample text file to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com, please? Thanks!

Aha. It looks like the text from Evernote that I was sure was tab-indented was not. Thanks for the clarification.