The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Synching two accounts on one computer plus iPhone/iPod Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I purchased the iphone app and am evaluating the desktop application. On my MacBookPro I have two login accounts, one for private stuff and one for my work. Next to that, I use an iPod Touch.

I started using MobileMe to sync but today I discovered that the Synchronization Preferences panel shows the same name of the computer being registered twice. It therefor also shows the text on the dialog:

"There is a newer client registration with the same name <my MBP>. If you are not synchronizing more than one Mac or device with that name, this registration may be obsolete. In that case, unregister it to allow faster synchronization."

Now I have been thinking about using a single database say in Shared Users, but I do need to sync between the two user logins, my iPod and another Mac. I think the registration is not unique enough since it does not take a user into account.

What is the best way to prevent problems? Use indeed a shared database between the two accounts and register the computer only once (say my work account) and sync only from there?

If I use a shared database, may I leave the two accounts 'open' by switching user and use OF in both accounts? Or should I stop/relaunch OF before using it in an account?

So far I just have been playing and reading but soon there will be real data in..

Last edited by captainc; 2009-02-13 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Typo

If I remember correctly, there's at least one other user that's trying a setup like this, and I don't think they ended up getting multiple client files this way. (Or, at least, they never mentioned it to us if they did.)

The best thing to do here is probably to contact the support ninjas - normally, I would ask a developer what's going on here, but I'm several time zones away from the office at the moment, unfortunately.