The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Possible Bug, can someone please confirm - Effort-Duration-Change of days per day Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenrussett View Post
Right so the Gantt bar should span over the 4 days in your first example. What i am saying is that when you change the Hours of a day in the Project settings, and have custom work days, the Durations Column updates with the new settings for the project hours per day but the Gantt bar does not.

Did you follow the steps in the first post? Give it a try and let me know what happens. What i am saying is that i think there is a bug that has the duration column linked with the hours per day field in the project settings but the gantt bar does not update if you change the hours per day setting when the assigned human resource has a custom work schedule. Just give the steps in the first post a try.

PS. WBS stands for work breakdown structure. The 1, 1.1, 1.1. etc is called a WBS.
WBS is the one I did know, of course :-)

I did try out your example, and it behaves just as I described. There is no need for the gantt bar to update because the work scheduled has not changed. The hours per day setting in the Project: Formatting inspector has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual scheduling of the work, only convenience of display and entry. OmniPlan uses that value to convert "1 day" into however many hours that is according to your setting but that setting does not reflect individual or project work days unless you set it to the proper value (if that is even possible). If you type "1 day" into a effort field before assigning a task to a resource, OP multiplies 1 day by whatever value you have set for project hours per day and inserts that number of hours in the duration field. It can't very well look at the work schedule of a resource that has yet to be assigned, can it? Neither can it necessarily know when in the week the task will fall for those resources with irregular schedules. When you tell OmniPlan a task involves "1 day" of effort, that is 1 standard project day, which may not be the same number of hours as the work day for any individual resource in the project.

Put yet another way -- this all goes away if you uncheck all units except hours in the Durations Display of the Project: Formatting inspector.

Right, but assign a resource. Then change the hours of work per day. My point is that the Duration column in the WBS should be the same as the length of the activity bar in the Gantt. My exp was giving me a change in the duration column after changing the work hours per day, but not changing the gantt bar (resource is assigned to activity and custom schedule is already set)

I will try to create a more hardened example later tonight for you to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Maybe the reason it makes sense to me is that I don't know what the acronyms mean :-)

Okay, let's try it a different way. The bar OmniPlan draws on the Gantt chart goes from the start of the task to the end of the task, regardless of what is between them. Weekends, holidays, days off, it doesn't matter. If you have assigned an 8 hour task to someone who works 2 hours per day, the bar is probably going to span at least 4 days on the Gantt chart. Similarly, if you assign that 8 hour task to someone who works 9-3 on Monday and 9-noon on Thursday, it is always going to cover at least 4 days, because it will span either Thursday to Monday or Monday to Thursday unless it has to go into an additional week (because it couldn't start until 2 PM on Monday, for example, in which case it would occupy 1 hour Monday, 3 hours on Thursday, and the 1st 4 hours of the next Monday, thus spanning no fewer than 8 days). OmniPlan does not draw a chain of sausage links only on the days the resource actually works.

Suppose you worked for your town government as an OmniPlan consultant 2 hours on each Monday and Wednesday. Suppose also that to save costs your town government switched from working 9-5 M-F (5 x 8 hour days) to 8-6 M-Th (4 x 10 hour days). The value you would enter in the town's OmniPlan documents for project hours per day would change from 8 to 10, but a Gantt chart showing tasks assigned to you would not change, agreed?
Not really. A 10 h task that starts on Thursday morning would cover Thursday and Friday before, and only Thursday only after the change, as it fits now into 1 day, therefore the Gantt chart should change here.

BR,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaye View Post
Not really. A 10 h task that starts on Thursday morning would cover Thursday and Friday before, and only Thursday only after the change, as it fits now into 1 day, therefore the Gantt chart should change here.

BR,
Michael
Go read my last paragraph more carefully, specifically the part about which days you work :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Go read my last paragraph more carefully, specifically the part about which days you work :-)
it does say: first Mo-Fr 9-5, then Mo-Thurs 8-6?
Sorry, it doesn't make click yet? What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaye View Post
it does say: first Mo-Fr 9-5, then Mo-Thurs 8-6?
Sorry, it doesn't make click yet? What am I missing?
The very first sentence of that paragraph:
Suppose you worked for your town government as an OmniPlan consultant 2 hours on each Monday and Wednesday.