The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Context view won't show full hierarchy Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

When I click on Context view, it won't show me the full hierarchy of the context. E.g. In Omnifocus for Mac I have made the context:
Mac
Mac : Online
Mac : Photoshop

And if I put actions under Mac : Online, the Mac version shows me "Mac : Online" above the grouped actions. The iPad, however, just shows me "Online" above it.

I have found a screenshot of OF for iPad that shows it correctly with "Home : Errands". (my OF on the iPad just shows "Errands") Why isn't it showing for me in this way? I didn't even find an option to change this behavior.

Update: I have to add that directly in the Omnifocus help on the iPad under "Contexts" it also shows "Mac : Online"

Last edited by enigma2k; 2012-05-16 at 02:55 PM..

Same behavior here. I'd love to see an answer to this. This is especially problematic when the same word is used more than once.

That hierarchy may only appear to be multiple levels deep!

The character used to delimit levels of the hierarchy is a synced setting, but whether or not the full hierarchy is show is not. I haven't had any success attempting to set the variable that controls whether the full hierarchy is shown on the Mac on the iPad, either. I'd be happy to be proven wrong about this, as I make extensive use of nested contexts, but I think the most likely explanation is that those screenshots just show a top-level context that happens to have a ":" in the name.

@whpalmer4

I have found the solution: I just added a custom context view on the Mac and synced it with the iPad. Now, when I click on this custom view it shows me the full hierarchy "Mac : Online" like on the screenshot.

The iPhone version also has the option to sort the context view as "flagged and due date first". The only option to do the same on the iPad is with a custom context view but I would like to have the context menu on the left side that isn't possible with the custom context, or am I missing something?
Even when I use the custom view I don't get the exact same view like the iPhone version, as I can only either sort it as flagged or due. And the "Mac : Online" also comes before "Mac" on the iPhone whereas on the iPad and Mac it is the other way around.

Yeah, that works, good eyes! I don't use any perspectives that group in the necessary fashion to notice. It doesn't explain the first screenshot, however, which appears to show a hierarchical context name displayed with all of its components in the Contexts view...

The iPhone got that option recently when changes were made to make it work more like the iPad, and a great hue and cry went up. You can read about it here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22686

When you supply your own perspective, you don't get to drill down via the sidebar like you do with the Contexts view, unless you're on the Mac. No way around that, or the differences in ordering, but sending in feedback to Omni will let them know improvement is wanted. My perception is that they've tried hard to keep all the glorious bits of knob-twiddling you can do in the Mac version out of the iOS versions, and that frankly makes me a bit nervous when they talk about revamping the Mac version to "apply the lessons we've learned from the iOS versions" — but I'd be happy to be proven wrong about those fears.

yes you are right it still doesn't explain the first screenshot. Maybe the ":" is really part of the name.

What I'm also missing in the iPad version is the blue color for single actions and purple for next actions. They really stripped down everything.

I don't think they will do they will do the same with the Mac version. My guess is they will just hide all the options very well so they won't confuse new users.