The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Seeing Folders in Context view Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I purchased the new iPad so I could use Omnifocus at work, and very happy with most things.

I have set up folders for the different areas of life, and in the Work folder, I have a different folder for each of the clients I manage.

When I use the Context view, I am having trouble trying to work out what client the action belongs to.

On the Mac, in the Context view, when I hold the cursor over the Project, and it shows the entire path (Work: Client A: Project 1). It’s easy to see what client the action relates to.

On the iPad, in the Context view, I can see the Action and the Project, but no way to see what folder that action is sitting in (and therefore no way to see what client the action relates to).

The problem is a number of projects and actions are replicated for each client. I could have an Account Planning project, containing “Enter Financials” as the action, for 10 different clients.

Is there any easy way to see what folder the action is in when I use the Context view? Do I need to change my layout/structure, and come at this from another angle?

As a work-around, I have set up a Perspective for each client. I Focus on the client’s folder, then go to the context screen and save the perspective.

Really enjoy all the knowledge shared on the site, and any feedback/assistance would be great.

It might be worth giving your client a three letter identifier and prefix the project with this TLI. It's a bit of a work around, but it should do what you need.

Seems like the easiest way to deal with the issue, thanks.

If you are needing to know which client folder the action belongs to because you are actually going to work on it (as opposed to trying to choose which action to work on), bring up the action editor, Info section, and tap the arrow to the right end of the project field. This will take you to the project containing that action, and the containing folder name will be shown at the top of the sidebar.

Also, if you do that, followed by tapping the <OmniFocus] button atop the sidebar a few times, you'll get out to the common ancestor folder, and tapping the > button next to it will get you a project view showing the projects nested together in the folder, which might be the easiest way to both choose and work similarly structured projects/actions. Might be of use even if you have switched over to using the TLI tactic...