The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to use OF with Mail.app?? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Alex, I don't seem to be able to do this. Do you mind expanding little more? Thanks.

This has been extremely helpful! I really like how I can drag the email over to create a link.

The send to OF thru services menu only partially worked for me - or at least to my liking.

Thanks everyone for the help!

A couple of people commented that in Leopard you can drag an email into the notes of the Task. I would love this functionality, and yet I am not able to replicate it... Any care to share some more in regards to how to do this?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown View Post
In leopard you can drag a mail item into the note of an action, which creates a link back to the mail item. Almost there!.
I would also love to know exactly how you do this. I'm trying with Mountain Lion and dragging the mail gives you a nice envelope cursor, dropping it in a note in either OmniFocus or OmniOutliner sometimes works perfectly and sometimes does nothing.

Over in the OmniOutliner forum Yury & Rob have created scripts that can copy a message link to the clipboard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
For an RTF version of the link, including the subject of the email, you could write something like:

Code:
tell application "Mail"
	activate
	set lstSeln to selection
	if lstSeln ≠ {} then
		tell item 1 of lstSeln
			set strURL to "message:%3C" & message id & "%3E"
			set strHTML to quoted form of ("<font face=\"helvetica\"><a href=\"" & strURL & "\">" & subject & "</a></font>")
		end tell
		do shell script "echo " & strHTML & "  | textutil -format html -convert rtf -inputencoding UTF-8 -stdin -stdout | pbcopy -Prefer rtf"
	end if
end tell

Last edited by andeye; 2013-01-07 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: I now find dragging sometimes works and have a better script

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Brown View Post
In leopard you can drag a mail item into the note of an action, which creates a link back to the mail item. Almost there!.
This "drag a mail item into the note of an action" served me incredibly well through 10.6.8. I made the jump to Mountain Lion via a shiny new MacBook Pro today. Now I can't get this method to cooperate. I can use the services option to send a clipping to the OF inbox, but that's not going to work for me.

There's a bewildering array of Mail app hurdles and workarounds. I've tried my due diligence searches, but I hope someone can point me to the right solution.

Thanks!