The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus 1.5 Wish List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexius View Post
39) A sort of Omnifocus HUD would be great. Growl notifications are so transient!

it would be great to have something like a floating, next-action(s)-based-on-context HUD up while I'm drilling through e-mails in mail.app.
Yeah, Growl notifications aren't really designed for this sort of thing. But OmniFocus can already do what you're looking for without Growl. Just create a custom perspective with a small window size. I do this all the time and it works great.

40) A Quicksilver plug-in. (More detail in this thread.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Just create a custom perspective with a small window size. I do this all the time and it works great.
Thanks for the suggestion -- I tried this but it doesn't do what I'm asking for. The window is still quite large and I would love an option to have the next action 'float' above mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexius View Post
Thanks for the suggestion -- I tried this but it doesn't do what I'm asking for. The window is still quite large and I would love an option to have the next action 'float' above mail.
Still quite large? Did you try resizing the window before saving it as a perspective? Perspectives preserve window dimensions. They also preserve the size of the sidebar, the state of the toolbar, and the View bar. So you could collapse all those as well. I don't think a window can get much smaller.

As for it not floating, that's about the only thing you can't achieve with Perspectives as they are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
If you open the Inspector, you can see timestamps for when each action or project was added and changed. Do you want something more?
No, you are right Brian, that's sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The ability to automatically bump up uncompleted items with past due dates to a new due date.

Right now if I have iCal set to "Hide Items Outside of Calendar View" your past undone items disappear forever! And to show all the items means I'm staring at dozens of to-dos, most of which I can't even act on yet!
I bet it would be pretty straightforward to make an toolbar applescript for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I bet it would be pretty straightforward to make an toolbar applescript for this.
See this thread for my Defer script -- I think it does exactly what you're looking for.

More info, screenshots, and script download here.

I would like the option to send completed projects & actions to an archive so they no-longer appear in the main windows or review perspective. The archive should be available & searchable for reference as needed. I want them out of site unless I need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie View Post
I would like the option to send completed projects & actions to an archive so they no-longer appear in the main windows or review perspective. The archive should be available & searchable for reference as needed. I want them out of site unless I need them.
This isn't really needed as OmniFocus already provides this functionality in a much more elegant way. Simply mark finished projects as Completed. Then set your view bar to display only Active projects (the default). Completed projects are then hidden from view and don't show up in the window.

If you want to look at your finished projects, just switch your View Bar to display Completed projects. You can search across them as well.

One of the advantages of this approach is that OF allows you to see completed items in the context (lowercase c) of all your other items or isolated if you prefer. It's much more flexible than moving them into a separate archive!

You may not need this feature but I would like to have the option to move select items to an archive.Trying to fully utilize OF as a GTD tool, I can easily see thousands of completed projects amongst hundreds of active ones.
Filtering works great to hide or reveal all items with the same status. However I want more control. As an example. I have no need to see the completed project "Take wife to opera" a year after it has been completed. I would like this to be archived. I do not want to delete this in case I need it years later when my wife accuses me of never taking her any where.
There are other complete projects which I do not want to archive. Several home remodeling projects are complete. I want to filter these out daily work in OF. I do not want to archive them as I am considering placing my home on the market. I want ready access to the info.

To avoid having hundreds or thousands of completed projects cluttering up my active work space over tine, I have been deleting completed items that I don't think I will need. The problem is now they are gone and no longer available for reference. I am looking for a way to file away the records that will be used infrequently (if at all).