The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Favorites disappearing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just chiming in with a "me too" - I sync bookmarks with MobileMe, and I've noticed that when my MacBook tries to connect to a wireless network that has no Internet connectivity (eg: my ADSL router is still booting up), I end up losing the bookmarks on the MacBook. Then when it does get connectivity, it syncs the broken bookmarks with MobileMe, causing my other mac to lose the bookmarks too (I can watch it happen in real time).

I've found a temporary workaround is to quit OmniWeb on all computers (ahem... I should buy another licence, yes?), restore the backup on one computer. Then for each computer (starting with the one I've just restored bookmarks to): Start OmniWeb up, wait for the bookmarks to reappear, then quit OmniWeb.

If I leave OmniWeb running without bookmarks, it will helpfully delete the newly restored bookmarks when I quit the bookmarkless instance.

I'm now trying to replicate the exact conditions under which OmniWeb will delete my bookmarks.

Sigh. 2 days later, bookmarks have all disappeared again.
Troy, can you suggest a fix? I see that other people are having this problem as well.

Also, I don't quite understand why MobileMe syncing would be causing this issue - I'm just syncing my Safari bookmarks with MobileMe, not my OW bookmarks.

I can get the Favourites and Personal bookmarks lists to disappear by simply starting OmniWeb without an Internet connection. Making them stay disappeared is the tricky part.

But this doesn't explain why bookmarks would be disappearing for avilewis…

avilewis: Are you saying that you're not using the "Use .Mac iDisk" setting in the OmniWeb bookmark preference pane?

Whoops - sorry, confused. I am of course using that pref.

Same happened to me yesterday. Lost bookmarks and favorites--and there were a lot--on MacBook and iMac at home. Sync bookmarks through MobileMe.

When I attempted to re-load my favorites and bookmarks from the AppSupport files, they were wiped clean. I'm able to resuscitate from Time Machine, but wonder how to keep this from happening again. I noticed it first yesterday on the MacBook, which means I wasn't at my office, which was an issue.

Help!

Well, after a few more days of normal operation, I've lost all my bookmarks and favorites again.

If OMNI is listening here, there is a known issue with MobileMe syncing!

I'm really sad, because OW has been my default browser for a year, and MobileMe syncing is the reason I took it up in the first place.

I'm going back to Safari, reluctantly, until either someone from Omni responds with good news, or someone else reports that the issue has been fixed.

My favourites just disappeared again. This time the only event that I can think of was my MacBook being "disconnected" from the WiFi: for some reason HardwareGrowler reported that the MacBook had been "connected" to the network with AP MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00, then a few seconds later was connected back to the correct WiFi, reallocated an address, and shortly afterwards when I opened the Favourites bar on my iMac (sitting on the desk beside my MacBook), all the favourites were gone.

For the meantime, I've been using BookDog to restore my Favourites (since I "backed up" to Safari).

Interestingly enough, when I quit OmniWeb on the MacBook (which has no favourites) and relaunch it, I see my old favourites there for a short period - up until about the time the saved workspace finishes loading. Then they all disappear. If I quit OmniWeb and start it up again, I see the same thing.

Last edited by Grail; 2010-03-02 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: update with new observation

I'd also like to report that I'm having the same issue. I also had (just turned it off) .Mac iDisk syncing. But it's only recently been happening - in the last few weeks. I've used this for quite a while and now it's turned off. But I'd rather it was fixed.