The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running Both 5.5sp and 5.1.3 Concurrently? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was wondering if it would be possible to run both the current OW stable release and the sneaky peek at the same time — or at the very least, rename the old app package to something like "OmniWeb 5.1.3.app". The reason is that I want to continue using the sneaky peek for most of my stuff (since it's mostly functional), but there's a major missing feature or a bug — I can't get any of my RSS feeds to update! So instead of reverting to 5.1.3, I'd like to use it just for the feeds (for now).

Would it cause a problem to have two versions of OmniWeb accessing the same application support files separately? I'm guessing that both versions running simultaneously would be a bad idea, but it never hurts to ask first...

I actually run 5.5 and 5.1.3 simultaneously pretty much all day long without too much trouble. Just remember that only one copy can access the history index at a time, you'll get a warning about this when launching the second copy, just choose "Disable Index".

Sweet! That'll make things easier. BTW, is my RSS issue a bug, or a missing feature? (I also posted a separate thread in the bugs forum.)

This is good to know when I need to do something in OW5.1.3 (like printing). I've been quitting OW5.5sp4 to do stuff, but I definitely prefer OW5.5. My husband was impressed with how fast it displayed our school's course registration system. Much snappier performance.

another thing to watch out for is that both OW's are writing to the same workspace files, so they can overwrite eachother's changes!

I had always running only the great betas of OW. Actually I did already delete OW 5.1.3 :rolleyes: