The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Controlling review Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What control do I have over the review? In other words how can I see which projects I review and when?
Over the time my db grew to a considerably large number of projects and I seem to have lost the idea when I set to review each particular project and the idea behind gtd is to have the system you can fully trust, well I don't trust that review feature in omnifocus any more. I looked through this forum and read people praising this functionality, may be the problem is I just can't use it properly. Btw, I don't have Mac.
Is there a way to review the review and see when things have to be reviewed and set that review for a particular day of the week, say Saturday evening?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ps I love omnifocus, have tried many, but this one is definitely superior. Some things are not clear, though, such as seeing paths in contexts. I saw a thread about that, but saw no solution. I have several projects with "print" subprojects and then in the context "printer" view I can't figure out where the documents come from. Clicking out of the context into the project, adding abbreviations, or clicking email button to see the full path is hardly a workaround, just a waste of time and effort

OmniFocus stores two items for each project: the date it was last reviewed, and the desired interval between reviews. If the last review date + desired interval for that project is in the future, the project will not be offered for review. When you tap the Mark Reviewed button, the last review date is updated to the current date.

On the iPad, there's no global way to see when every project is up for review, and what the associated review interval is. You can only see it by going to each project in Review mode, which can be difficult if you've been reviewing as you should! You can force a project into the Review mode at any time by tapping and holding on the project's title bar in the Project view and selecting Review from the popup. Along the bottom of the Review mode window you'll see a box showing the last reviewed date and the review interval.

All the review functionality does is allow you to systematically look at your projects, and if you subscribe to the "I want to review all my projects on the same day" school of thought, you don't really need to use it at all. Just open up Project view, and systematically scroll through all of your projects and look them over. Review mode allows you to stop part of the way through and resume later, but you could just put a note in your Inbox telling yourself where you were. Where the Review mode really shines is when you want to review different projects at different intervals, and/or not all on the same day.

Probably the easiest way to get all of your projects to review on the same day and interval if you don't have the Mac app is to contact the Omni support ninjas. They can temporarily sync your database to one of their machines, set the review parameters as you ask, and send it back to you. After that, you just need to be sure to review all of the projects on your desired review day, because failing to do so will result in your projects coming up for review on a different day.