The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Network connection lost searching Alsoft support database Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Using OmniWeb 5.11 on Mac OS X 10.6.7, I'm unable to use the Search feature of Alsoft Support Database because every search instantly reports "Cannot Load Address - The network connection was lost."

Search works fine in Safari 5.0.5 and Firefox 4.0.1.

Having OmniWeb spoof as Safari 5.0.3 or Firefox 3.0.1 don't help.

Is there any way to determine whether to point the bug finger at OmniWeb or the Alsoft website?

-- Ward

[submitted as formal feedback]

Well, I just successfully searched for "diskwarrior" there, so it apparently isn't a 100% reliable failure, if it is OmniWeb's fault. That said, I was just trying to post a comment at MacSparky's website, and kept getting that same error message most times when I clicked on Preview or Submit, but hadn't gotten around to trying from a different browser. Whatever the root cause, it is frustrating (especially when one loses the text of the post)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Well, I just successfully searched for "diskwarrior" there, so it apparently isn't a 100% reliable failure, if it is OmniWeb's fault.
I just tried the same search, getting the same error as before. Hmmm.

Quote:
That said, I was just trying to post a comment at MacSparky's website, and kept getting that same error message most times when I clicked on Preview or Submit, but hadn't gotten around to trying from a different browser. Whatever the root cause, it is frustrating (especially when one loses the text of the post)...
The School of Hard Knocks taught me long ago to save a copy of carefully written prose before submitting a form. I've used a variety of techniques, with simplicity and speed being the prime goal. These days I use Shovebox, which accepts text dragged to a menu bar icon. A free alternative is to drag a text clipping to a "clippings" folder on your Desktop.

-- Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
The School of Hard Knocks taught me long ago to save a copy of carefully written prose before submitting a form.
Yeah, I was just lecturing my sweetie on this very matter yesterday as she wrote a letter to the school principal in Yahoo's webmail window :-) But in my case, it was just a quick note, decided to gussy it up a bit with some HTML, went to check my work, and poof! Gone. Undeterred, I wrote the post again, put the HTML in before trying to preview, copied link and posting to the OF quick entry box, and the @##@% thing failed again! At least I still have the bits to email to my buddy MacSparky, maybe with a picture of a brick and a broken window :-)

Quote:
Yeah, I was just lecturing my sweetie on this very matter yesterday as she wrote a letter to the school principal in Yahoo's webmail window :-) But in my case, it was just a quick note, decided to gussy it up a bit with some HTML, went to check my work, and poof! Gone. Undeterred, I wrote the post again, put the HTML in before trying to preview, copied link and posting to the OF quick entry box, and the @##@% thing failed again! At least I still have the bits to email to my buddy MacSparky, maybe with a picture of a brick and a broken window :-)
What you teach?

Last edited by timly; 2011-12-04 at 12:46 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by timly View Post
What you teach?
Applied Hard Knocks 101 :-)

From Wikipedia:

"The School of Hard Knocks or University of Hard Knox is an idiomatic phrase meaning the (sometimes painful) education one gets from life's usually negative experiences, often contrasted with formal education."