The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Looking for script for moving actions to top of project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking for a script to move a selected action to the top of a project. I believe it will also work for multiple selected actions.

I remember seeing this script quite some time ago but now I can't find it again.

Can anyone please provide a pointer?

Thanks!

Would dragging and dropping it not be the fastest way to do this?

I can't seem to find it any more, either. I hope it's alright to do this, but here's the script as I copied it a long time ago. Feel free to delete this if anyone things it's not alright for me to publish someone else's work.

Code:
tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell content of document window 1 of default document
		set taskList to get value of selected trees
		repeat with aTask in taskList
			set theProject to containing project of aTask
			move aTask to beginning of tasks of theProject
			--move aTask to end of tasks of theProject
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell

Christian - I find drag-and-drop clumsy with long task lists. And the tasks lists on my main projects are wicked long. This may be a function of my using a Magic Trackpad; maybe I ought to blow the dust off my Logitech trackball and use that.

mpw - I'll give that a try -- thanks!

Perfect timing; I'm just about to start my daily review.

Yeah I see your point in that combination. I usually use not so long lists hence it works well.

mpw - The script works great -- thanks again!

I'd really like a view that allows me to view all my active tasks in one long lost, and allows me to order them without respect to context or project. However, I don't see much interest from Omni Group (or other OmniFocus users, for that matter) in doing that.

There has been interest expressed every now and then over the past years as far as I remember. However as I get it it you need to do extended changes on the code to accomplish this since it's not part of the concept behind OF.

You could use the estimated duration to sort your tasks in one long list. Not a perfect solution but it would likely work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Wagner View Post
I'd really like a view that allows me to view all my active tasks in one long list, and allows me to order them without respect to context or project
To paste such a list into a text file, you could start with something like:

Code:
property pstrDBPath : "$HOME/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus/OmniFocusDatabase2"

set the clipboard to (do shell script "sqlite3 " & pstrDBPath & space & quoted form of "
	SELECT name FROM task ORDER BY dateDue, name;
")
and then fine-tune the query to get the listing you want.

(Copies of OmniFocus purchased through the AppStore won't be able to run this snippet without modification).

hey dear :
I see your point in that combination. I usually use not so long lists hence it works well.

RobTrew - I've thought copying my list of current actions in OmniFocus to another list, but it seems too fussy. Thanks anyway, though.

My current system, which I've been using over the past few days, is to use Projects view to flag actions I want to keep front-of-mind, and then order them in the order I want to do them in. Then I flip to Context view when I'm ready to get to work.

There are still too many actions on my list, though.

I'm still trying to do achieve that "mind like water" that David Allen talks about. I suspect the problem may not be in the software or my organizing system. :)