The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Just curious: any interest in text matching Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm wondering what level of interest fellow OF users would have in text matching as a way of automatically assigning items to projects and categories.

So, I'd type Call Sarah about Jones project, and OF would go, aha! Assign this to the context "call" and the project "Jones." I would, of course, in this dream world be allowed to set up text match conditions required for the matches I wanted OF to automatically create.

Better still, I type in "Call Sarah next Tuesday about the Jones project" and a due date is also assigned.

or type "Call Sarah" and OF would show a popup list of contacts from your address book, with "sarah" in them - you choose one and that phone number is attached to the item so you can dial from the item directly.

This came up a few years ago...the thought at the time was to use Latent Semantic Mapping to do this (its the tech that does Spam mail filtering for OS X Mail).

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...an1/lsm.1.html

Should be possible to cobble something together using applescript and the lsm command line tool, but I think that we'll find that just improving the text matching code for entering projects and contexts will yield a more usable end product.