The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Multiple Activites for Multiple Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I have implemented GTD using many different tools and have been following the methodology for a long time. As I use OF, once again the usefulness of multiple contexts is crystal clear.

Right away as I enter my activities, contexts for places and people are one area where multiple contexts are so helpful. "Pay Amy back $2" needs to go into a place context where I usually see her (the place is named Cornucopia), and into a person context of Amy.

In order to implement this effectively the way things are now with single contexts / activity, I enter the activity twice (which I shouldn't have to do), which is an inconvenient workaround.

Activity: Pay Amy Back $2, assigned to context Cornucopia
Activity: Pay Amy Back $2, assigned to context Amy

Now when I am at Cornucopia I can see everything related to that, or when I see Amy I can see everything related to her. Very clean, very complete, very intuitive, to go to the context view and see everything related to that context.

Double entry of tasks is inconvenient, but there is one thing that helps -- the copy / paste to add the second occurrence is very easy and takes no time at all.

This is my workaround for now and it makes the tool work for me. I hope the Omni team is keeping all these points in mind as they navigate through the alphas and betas and release the product. Making things right now will take some extra effort. Making things right later will take more effort.

In any case, the value of multiple contexts was immediately validated and the other features of this tool make it worth the inconvenience of duplicated actions if they naturally fall into more than one context.

I want to add that I am finding context hierarchies very powerful. Other aspects of this tool go above and beyond what I would have expected and I want to acknowledge that.