The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Distance Lines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like to display the distance between two objects, or sometimes, simply display the distance of a particular line segment.

I can easily draw a dotted line of the appropriate length, but I have not figured out how to label the line (in the same manner that one can label a rectangle).

Is this possible?

Is it possible for the label to automatically display the length of the line?

(I have the Pro version).

In Omnigraffle there are several variables.

To do what you are asking, create a text label, open it (so you are editing the text) and then go to the menu: Edit --> Insert Variable.

There you'll find a variable Line Length. Click that and it'll insert the text <%length%>.

now click off the label (so you are no longer editing the text) and Omnigraffle will automatically replace the variable with the line length.

There are a few other useful variables in there as well

HTH

-- Morgan

Thanks Morgan! I think I am missing one small part of the equation here though.
How do you create a text label for a line? I know how to click on the "text tool" (the "A") and had already manually created a bit of text with "2.5 ft" in it. I manually alligned that to the line, and it works ok, but when I try to insert a variable, I am offered every variable EXCEPT line length! That is telling me that I have not successfully created a text label, since it doesn't know what line I would want to measure.

Can you clarify? Thanks!

-David

Depending on your preference settings you can either:

double click the line
or
option click (or double click, I cannot remember)

it's set up so one adds a label and the other adds another point to the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceless View Post
Depending on your preference settings you can either:

double click the line
or
option click (or double click, I cannot remember)

it's set up so one adds a label and the other adds another point to the line.
For me, Option-Click worked. Thanks so much!