The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

DropBox support? [A: Document sync is coming, but not based on Dropbox or iCloud.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Reminder: folks that want to vote for a feature should send email to the support ninjas.

We browse the forums as we're able, but we can't guarantee that we'll see every post. If you want to be sure that your requests get filed appropriately, send 'em to our dedicated email support staff. Thanks!

Another +1 here, with the accompanying email to the support ninjas, too.

+1 as well as WebDAV support for sync.
This works very nice in Omnifocus on my phone so please port this to Omnigraffle for the iPad.

Yes, please please please add Dropbox support. I use two iMacs and a Macbook, and the iTunes file sync process is cumbersome, at best. Dropbox solves this for me.

Please add me to the list as well - DropBox is by far the best and most widely supported CloudStorage provider. Please support the guys delivering as good a product as you are...

Also that is almost a decision maker for me buying the desktop version as a companion product....

I'm emailing this to the support ninjas as well, but I wanted to make sure I voice my opinion here. Let me describe what would be ideal for me:

I'd really like to be able to have one instance of an OmniGraffle document saved to my Dropbox that I can open either on my Mac and iPad.

When I open it on my Mac, make changes, and save, it would work the normal way (Dropbox is already where I keep most of my OG documents).

On the iPad, I would be able to browse my Dropbox within the OmniGraffle app, open a file, and as I make changes to the file, they would be saved to that same instance on the Dropbox (kind of like how if i'm editing on the iPad and leave the app it's all saved... you never have to save changes, but all these changes would go to the Dropbox).

Also, it would be perfect if once a file were "opened" from Dropbox the entire file was cached so I could make changes without an internet connection that would be updated on Dropbox once a connection is available. Bonus UX points would be if any of these "live" Dropbox OG files would show up in the regular OG for iPad "Diagrams" file browser screen with a special blue border or something to indicate they are stored locally but updated on Dropbox as they are edited.

I've noticed you guys are kickass at maintaining data integrity when keeping multiple data sources in sync (I'm a hardcore OmniFocus user across 4 devices) so hopefully you can pull this off if there's enough demand!!

I hope this isn't too uncommon a use case to consider for development. With the current way the OG apps are designed, I generally have a copy of a file saved on the iPad, I make changes, then I export to iDisk. I have to rename the file and delete the old one usually because the files I work with are sometimes huge and the Replace feature doesn't work. This gets very tedious as sometimes I can't remember if I "exported" the document on an iPad when I want to open it on my Mac and make some quick changes.

BTW keep up the AMAZING work with all the Omni apps!!!!!!!

Hi
I was wondering if the use of DropDAV to connect to Dropbox through the webdav server connection was possible with OmniGraffle for iPad?

DropDAV allows me to connect to Dropbox with Pages, Numbers and Keynote but with OmniGraffle I just get the trying to connect message.

Can Omnigraffle use DropDAV in the same way as iWork apps?

It seems there's a bit of an interoperability problem in there somewhere. It should work, but it doesn't (at least not for me). None of the Omni iPad apps seem to be able to connect via DropDAV, and neither can the Mac OS X 10.6.6 Finder. They do successfully connect to Omni's Sync Server, which is a standard WebDAV server. However, Pages on the iPad connects without difficulty to both DropDAV *and* the Omni Sync Server using the same credentials that fail from OmniGraffle. I've reported this problem at least once, but the more problem reports, the better, as far as getting it fixed. Use the Contact Omni menu entry under the Omni button menu to make a report that will get logged (a forum post won't).

Hi whpalmer4
Just had a reply from the support ninjas. Apparently it might be an issue with DropDAV. They are investigating.

Sorry for the trouble this is causing! We've identified a couple of places where DropDAV sends back malformed responses to WebDAV requests. We don't handle those invalid responses as gracefully as we should, which is what causes the login process to stall. Both parties have some bugs to fix, in other words.

My guess is the iWork for iPad team encountered a problem like this before and have workarounds in place; we need to add something similar to our own code.