The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

$40? Seriously? [OmniFocus for iPad Pricing Feedback] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
I couldn't agree more. I bought the two (Mac and iPhone) because they worked well together but I find it really hard to keep buying software every time you have a new device.

I can accept there should be a cost as the extension to a new device isn't free but to invest in Omni Focus on all your devices gets quite expensive.

Tim
OmniFocus costs less than the sales tax I have to pay when I buy a new Mac, iPod touch, or iPad.

What kind of discount did you receive from Apple for buying their hardware every time they roll out a new platform? Buying the new devices is the expensive part!

Do you think Omni would do better if they instead charged a flat fee that allowed one to use any combination of OmniFocus software (pretend the App Store policies don't interfere)? What would be a fair price? If you were a potential customer, would this be attractive?

Quote:
I find it really hard to keep buying software every time you have a new device.
I find it really hard to keep buying a new device every time Omni releases new software! An iPad is next for me, then I suppose I'll need to finally upgrade from my PowerBook when OmniFocus goes Intel-only for version 2.0.

Quote:
... I find it really hard to keep buying software every time you have a new device.
I can accept there should be a cost as the extension to a new device isn't free but to invest in Omni Focus on all your devices gets quite expensive.
Tim
Err... but you don't find it hard buying a new device every time there is... a new device? Or did I miss out on the Apple discount on iPads for current Mac users?

EDIT: Should have refreshed the page, seems like I'm very late on this one, sorry for the repeats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
My point is exactly that ochlocracy, the rule of the mob and mere majority, won't work here. When Alexis de Tocqueville visited the US Senate, which was not elected yet, but rather appointed in a semi-aristocratic manner, he admired such an arrangement, as upholding lofty thoughts and opposing the mob's instinct to level everything.
Hmmm... Is this at about the same place where he writes: "The time must come when the American republics will be obliged more frequently to introduce the plan of election by an elected body into their system of representation or run the risk of perishing miserably among the shoals of democracy"?
I guess I must have a very bad understanding of the current American electoral system, or maybe I missed out the miserable death of the U.S. somewhere along the line?

Quote:
I submit that the honorable veterans of this forum are in a way the upholders of the lofty thoughts. If we allow Omni to go by the counts in the request database, we'll end up with a nauseatingly bland mashup of half-baked tricks for the naive and the impatient. There's apps galore for such an audience.
I absolutely agree with this appreciation of whpalmer and Curt. Which is why I agree with Curt's comment on this part of your post. But I shall also submit that whpalmer and Curt have not in my recollection expressed a desire to see tags integrated in OF. Are you ready to consider those lofty thoughts?

Quote:
A very common request is, "dumb it down, it's too complex." Would you really like it implemented?
Well, I don't know (that was my previous point) that it's actually a "common" request (still no access to their requests database). From what I've seen in the forums and personal experience, it seems to me that "It's very complex, and not the best documented software" comes up pretty often. And although I think Omni could do a better job at documenting their software, there's usually massive resources (forums included) out there to help one with OF if one is willing to invest the time and energy to look for them.

Quote:
The veterans, who over the years had paid repeatedly, deserve their votes counted in a higher tier. Multiply times by money by the number of meaningful discussions with whpalmer4, and make it a vote!
We shall agree to disagree. Obviously Omni has their own plans, and they adjust them in part according to feedback they get from users. I'm very happy with the way they run their company, which is neither a democracy nor a shop completely ignorant of its customers' needs and desires.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I bought the two (Mac and iPhone) because they worked well together but I find it really hard to keep buying software every time you have a new device.

OmniFocus on the iPad is a lot more than just a little bit of size tweaks for the iPad. On a jailbroken iPad, you can make the iPhone OmniFocus look like it was ported - not doubled but actually full resolution. That just does not compare to the iPad version. Lots of work went in to it.

What really surprises me is the number of people asking for discounts if you own multiple platforms. I'd expect more than half of OmniFocus for iPhone or iPad sales to be to people who already own it on the Mac. You can't give a discount to 50 to 80% of your customers. I think the current prices are essentially the own multiple discounted prices.

I've generally been accepting of OmniGroup's pricing. I've always felt it was a bit too high but the product quality was worth it.

I know there are others who disagree but I think that the OmniFocus suite of applications is overpriced if you'd like all three versions (Mac, iPad and iPhone).

I've purchased two of the applications and have already spent nearly $100 on this application. Although it's a great application I feel like I'm paying 3 times for one application. It's a great application but it's still a task management application.

At the very least if you purchase the iPad version or iPhone version it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to get the other mobile version as well (which, a lot of other developers do already).

Just my 2 cents..

Your employer paid you for M-Th, doesn't it seem reasonable that they ought to get your services on Friday for free? You're pretty much doing the same job, right? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Your employer paid you for M-Th, doesn't it seem reasonable that they ought to get your services on Friday for free? You're pretty much doing the same job, right? :)
Kinda clever but not really. My employer determines my salary based on the fact I work 5 days a week (not M-Th). OmniGroup then should determine the application suite cost based on the presumption that people will buy all 3 applications.

You know what would make this thread more appropriate? A dead horse. Anyone got a dead horse we can use for a bit? Oh, and a club. We need a club as well. Anyone got a club?

Nuance matters, I think. The only other thread on a similar topic (at least that I could find) was related to the price of OmniFocus for the iPad.

My frustration is related to the cost associated with all three products.

Individually, I don't feel like any one of the products is priced inappropriately.