The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: tabbed windows on OmniOutliner Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I apologize if this has already been requested - searches don't reveal it to me.

As my outlines get unwieldy and large, I would like to break them into smaller outlines. That is easy enough.

But I don't want to have to deal with lots of windows. I used tabbed browsing in Firefox and MacVim and they are wonderful ways to keep window proliferation in hand.

Thanks,
ge

Have you investigated the Hoist functionality?

Hoist is one option, but I know we have a feature request open for some sort of tabbed interface as well. If you send email to the support ninjas, they can add your vote to that item in the development database. Thanks!

You know me, Brian, I'm all about finding people solutions they can use while you all "turn the crank" on something even better :-) That said, I'll also be sending in a vote for the tabbed interface, as well as one for the ability to have separate views into the same document, which may or may not be part of the same feature.

Add my vote too!

Another thing that Tree does properly, and which 004 would certainly need, is tabbed multiple hoisting.

In Tree (background of the image below) you can have several sub-trees simultaneously hoisted, each with their own tab, and this makes rather light and rapid work with larger trees.

In 003 (foreground of the same image) we have just a single window to work with, and quite a lot of heavy hoisting and unhoisting to do if we need to move around our sub-trees, or even just take a glance at the top of the tree.

Request for 004: tabbed multiple hoisting ...

--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TabbedHoisting.png
Views:	1835
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2456  

Honestly, I don't find OO3 to involve "a lot of heavy hoisting". I just keep the Utility Drawer open so I can see the Sections List, and then click on sections just as I would click on tabs to show me different outlines or different parts of my outlines.

However, I agree with you that I'd prefer to have tabs, as they're more elegant and take up less real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogbar View Post
I just keep the Utility Drawer open so I can see the Sections List
Yes, I find that works fine as long as it's only the top level sections that I'm hoisting, but once the hoisted sub-trees are a few layers down, the business of opening up successive levels of sub-sections one by one in the drawer can become a bit more cumbersome.

( Hoisted sub-trees at deeper levels in OO3 don't automatically show up in the drawer, whereas anything hoisted in Tree, regardless of the depth to which its parent node is nested, immediately gets a tab … )

"... but once the hoisted sub-trees are a few layers down, the business of opening up successive levels of sub-sections one by one in the drawer can become a bit more cumbersome."

That's a good point ...

An additional advantage of the Tree approach is that the hoisted node is collapsed in the parent tab, as well as getting its own focused tab.

This means that you can toggle back and forth, with single clicks, between pruned overview and narrowed focus. The OO3 drawer only gives a toggle between hoisted and not-hoisted (or between various hoistings) there are no automatically collapsed parent views.

(In Tree, closing a hoisted tab also re-expands the node in the parent view).