The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Incomplete syncing with Bonjour Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just set up Bonjour syncing between my desktop and my iPod touch today. The initial set-up and sync had no problems. Testing it several times today has also gone well - with one exception. For one of my tasks, I needed to just reword the action. I made the changes on the desktop, but the change will not sync to the iPod. All I did was delete a couple of words and insert a couple of words. I had checked off two other actions at the same time, and they synced without any problem.

Feedback submitted also.

Just clutching at straws here, but you did close the edit before syncing, right? If you clicked on something else AFTER you reworded that item, then this isn't the problem.

Yes, I did close the edit before syncing.

I did some more testing, and I can get it to occur in only one specific sequence. This only seems to occur when I make a revision on the desktop and then immediately start the manual sync from the desktop. The revision will not sync to the iPod right away. It will, however, sync at the next automatic sync. On my iPod Touch, I cannot create the problem. I can make a revision on the iPod and immediately hit the manual sync button - and the change syncs to the desktop. Or I can wait for the next auto sync and the change syncs. A small, temporary issue - but one that should not happen.

I actually noticed this issue originally because I hit the manual sync on the desktop and then closed OF on my desktop as soon as the manual sync completed. I then looked at my iPod and noticed that the change had not synced. After I reopened OF on my desktop, the auto sync took over and synced the change.

And just one more question, which probably isn't the case, but your description doesn't rule out:

you did do a sync on the iPod as well after the desktop Mac sync finished, right? The sync mechanism simply applies the changes to a central repository, and they aren't seen by the other device(s) until the device does a sync of its own.

With Bonjour sync, the desktop app has to be running when your iPod tries to sync -- that could explain the original case you described. You made the change to the repository, but before the iPod had a chance to do a sync and pick it up, OF was no longer running. The sync doesn't push data, in other words, it just makes it available for other devices to read when they finally do so either because you start up OF (and don't have auto-sync on open disabled) or a minute goes by after you make a change, or an hour since you last made a change, or you manually invoke the sync.