The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What's coming in OmniFocus v1.6? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
I find your reply ridiculous.
Such an eloquent retort.

For "pinky", while I to would like to see attachments handled better, don't really need the icon just the file name, a temporary workaround that I use is an automator script that put the link in as a URL into the clipboard, then I just paste to notes. That way I can click on the URL and have the file appear in Finder. From there I can quick look it or launch it.

Put this in automator:

Code:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Finder" to set the clipboard to (URL of (selection as alias) as string)
	get (the clipboard)

return input
end run
The best thing about OmniFocus is scripting so you can fine tune it to your hearts content.

Last edited by gcrump; 2009-02-03 at 02:37 AM..

Thanks I'll give it a try. To be honest I'm looking at Circus Ponies Notebook which handles attachments really well, with many options.

But thanks.

I emailed customer support about this back when version 1.0 debuted, but unfortunately the issue is still not fixed: when I enter a new starting date the end date does NOT move. This incorrect behavior results in situations where the end date can move before the start date. I would expect, and hope to eventually see, a behavior like in iCal, whereas the end date is moved accordingly and in line to the existing timeframe, i.e. if there are two weeks between start and end date then the end date is moved by two weeks once the start date changes. Logical, is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonent View Post
I emailed customer support about this back when version 1.0 debuted, but unfortunately the issue is still not fixed: when I enter a new starting date the end date does NOT move. This incorrect behavior results in situations where the end date can move before the start date. I would expect, and hope to eventually see, a behavior like in iCal, whereas the end date is moved accordingly and in line to the existing timeframe, i.e. if there are two weeks between start and end date then the end date is moved by two weeks once the start date changes. Logical, is it not?
I agree, and go back to my original post - based on the topic of the thread (started by the guy who would know), I would hope to see a more detailed list of what to expect in v1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonent View Post
If your model of the world is that events never change their length when they are rescheduled, sure. That's a bit of a restrictive viewpoint, however! I find that the start dates and end dates rarely move in concert. If some vital component is delayed in getting to me, that rarely gets me a reprieve on when the job needs to be done. If this behavior changes, I sure hope there's an option to keep the old behavior!

I'm with gryphonent on how this should work - it is more likely for my workflow that the duration will remain constant. However, at the very least, the due date should automatically correct itself to be the same day as the start date rather than remaining in the past. That is just basic UI for calendaring apps and should have been there from day one, imo.

Right - leaving the length of time between start and end date the same is certainly the lesser of any evils of having them move backwards in time by leaving the end date alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
However, at the very least, the due date should automatically correct itself to be the same day as the start date rather than remaining in the past.
Now, that part I can agree with! If the start date is moved beyond the due date, the due date should be set to the start date. I'm undecided what should happen to the time portion -- unchanged (except if it would be prior to the new start date/time), use the default due time, same time offset from start time, multiple choices, all of them bound to be wrong at one time or another :-)

I'm pretty happy how it is, especially given it's not supposed to be a project planner like OmniPlan.
I use the start date as a way to declutter my live view of todos. e.g. Make something start Friday so I don't see it on Wednesday when I'm not ready to start it. And say it's due Friday too... then when my workflow goes bad, but I really can't start it until Monday it still show's how (over)due it is...