The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus for an university student Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I've got an entire prosciutto in my refrigerator, and 4 different bottles of aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena in the pantry. Is there any other explanation? :-)
Ahahahahaha. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I would put your subjects in a folder, too. I meant to comment on the fact that you might have both a folder and a context named University. The context would be used for actions which had to be done at the university, and the folder would contain projects for the subjects. Not every task in the University folder would necessarily have to happen at the university. Does that make sense?
Perfectly :)

I was trying to put everything in order, but I have a "problem".
If "personal" and "GD" become folders, I don't know what context choose for tasks, then.
(I hope you understand the problem :D)

Last edited by Niko09; 2012-03-06 at 02:34 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko09 View Post
I was trying to put everything in order, but I have a "problem". If "personal" and "GD" become folders, I don't know what context choose for tasks, then.
Perhaps think of Personal and GD as "Areas of Responsibility" rather than Contexts. Areas of Responsibility (AoRs) define a larger scope where your PROJECTS fall. Common AoRs include Personal, Work, Business, Health, Finances, ... You likely will have many projects that are Personal, many that are GD, many that are Finances ... For example, some of my AoRs are Anthologies, Career, Teaching, Hobbies, Family, Well-Being, and Zen.

Think of Contexts as the framework that you need to accomplish a specific TASK. The framework can be such things as a location (Home, Work, Desk, Errands, ...), a "tool" (Computer, Email, Phone, Internet ...), a mind-set (Focused, Daydreaming, Researching, Networking, ...), a "team member" (Family, Girlfriend, Someone, Colleague ...), or others. For example, some of my contexts are ☼ : daydream, ☼ : focus, ☼ : detail, ☼ : bills, @ : Errands, @: Lecture, @ : Internet, ☺ : Family, and ☺ : Someone. The special characters signify the main group, and the names are the sub-groupings (the special characters translate very nicely to the iPhone).

So, put your PROJECTS in Folders (AoRs), and put your TASKS in Contexts. The names of Folders and Contexts may be the same (Family and ☺ : Family), but their purpose is entirely different. The former here holds all projects that you are doing for your family, and the latter holds all tasks that are delegated to someone in your family.

--
JJW

Wow.
Everything is clear now.
I've understood everything.

Thank you all, guys!