The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clippings support for Thunderbird Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm seeking Clippings support for Thunderbird, and if it doesn't exist (I can't get it to work in TB 17.0.x), I'm considering creating said capability myself:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=871314

Guidance, suggestions, pointers?

Yes, I know Postbox claims Clippings (or something) support for OmniFocus, but 1) I can't get it to work and 2) I still need Thunderbird over Postbox (at least until Postbox offers a "Group by Sort" feature... and possibly then some).

Postbox clippings worked for me. I think there's a plug-in you need to make it work (or a preference you need to turn on). Then, you simply select the text of the message you want to clip, right click it (or ctrl-clip) and then select the OF clipping entry from the services menu (at least that's my memory--I haven't used that feature in a while).

The Postbox option will not work for me, but thx for the info.

I bought Postbox, because I could see no viable way of getting the clippings happening with TB. I'm not a coder, so I could not program my own solution. Therefore, PB was the closest I could come.

Thx kingsinger, but let's not confuse the situation for the other readers. To clarify: I'm requesting Thunderbird <-> OmniFocus Clippings integration (not Postbox), and seeking guidance for how to potentially create this (presumably via some programming) in Thunderbird or whatever''s needed.

More details:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...x-what-tools-a

Fair enough. Here was my take-away from the research I did a while back.

Most of the other mail clients that have the OF clipping facility seem to have better applescript support than does the mac version of TB (Postbox, Mailplane and Mail.app). So I'm assuming that applescript is the easiest way to make the clipping thing work with OF.

Absent an applescript approach, I'm assuming you'd be falling back to javascript, no? So you'd need to write a TB add-on in that language.

Either that's not an easy thing to do or there aren't a lot of code-proficient TB users with an interest in doing it, because nobody has done it yet.

That's why I switched to PB (and then later to mailplane). You are right that it has its flaws, but they seem to still be slowly developing it.

Against this backdrop, you may find it easier trying to fix the other things you don't like about PB via add-on than to write a clipping add-on for TB. As you probably already know, TB add-ons can often run on PB, although the degree of work it takes varies (in some cases it might be as simple as including PB as an authorized program).

I'm guessing it's probably also easier to write an add-on that changes the TB/PB environment (e.g., fixing the grouping and sorting behavior you don't like in PB), than it may be to write an add-on that mediates interactions between Mac TB, OSx and OF.

But I may well be wrong about that.

Anyway, I hope you succeed in building something that works. It would be an awesome contribution to the OF community.