The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SneakyPeak 1.1 Columns bug ??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Not sure if this is a bug in the new sneaky peak builds or if I'm just missing a preference, but when I set the columns to view "Start Date" and "Due Date" in OF the show up fine. However, once I switch to a project view, or a difference context view, the columns disappear. Is there a preference to keep the start and due date columns "sticky" across all views as my default? Or is this a bug?

I don't remember this happening with the stable release.

Thanks.

The displayed columns is a per-perspective setting. Once you have the columns as you like, use Perspectives --> Take Snapshot to remember them.

Curt

It would be good if there was a default view where you could set which columns you want and their set widths to begin with.. otherwise I find myself having to make endless Perspectives to cover every eventuality just to make sure my columns don't disappear or data doesn't wrap to two lines (especially dates) every time I open a new window or switch views. Is there a current workaround? tia

There's no work around that I know of. After an initial period of adjustment when per-perspective columns were added, I've found the it isn't an issue anymore.

That said, I wonder if changes to columns shouldn't be automatically remembered with the current perspective. The current design is definitely suboptimal.

Curt

@Curt, Yes, that makes sense and works great for perspectives. However, they still don't stick.

For Example:
I select ProjectA from the sidebar and set the columns to view start date and end date.
Then select ProjectB from the sidebar.
When I click back to ProjectA in the sidebar, the start and due columns that I previously set are now gone.

The only way I can keep those colums visible is by taking a snapshot of the project as a Perspective after setting the columns to be viewed.

If I select that new perspective, and then choose any project from the sidebar (even if it's not part of that perspective), the columns are visible. But, it only works if I have selected that perspective for which I have set the start and due columns.

This seems like a UI bug, since the other apps tend to have a default view setting or custom view setting. What makes me say it's a bug, is that the view never sticks for a project once you click on another project in the sidebar.

And I agree that the whole column-size thing is kind of a drag, especially when I bounce from different monitors with my laptop. I constanly have to resize the column for longer context names in the column. Would be smoother to have each column resize to fit the available info, or at least truncate like Finder, where a simple double-click on the column slider would give you full-view of the contents. Wrapping it to the next line just doesn't do it for me.

Not trying to be a downer, just hoping that this feature can be addressed for future 1.1 releases. Just my $.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalloway View Post
@Curt, Yes, that makes sense and works great for perspectives. However, they still don't stick.

For Example:
I select ProjectA from the sidebar and set the columns to view start date and end date.
Then select ProjectB from the sidebar.
When I click back to ProjectA in the sidebar, the start and due columns that I previously set are now gone.
Are you sure about that? You didn't change windows or perspectives, or flip between context and planning mode? The column headings don't change at all for me in a given window no matter what combination of projects and folders I select in the sidebar, so long as changing the selection of projects and folders is all I change. As the column view stuff is a property of the window, it is hard to imagine why changing the selection would affect it.

An option to set the column width would be helpful too. Having my due dates broken up into 2 rows makes things less easy to grasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstay View Post
An option to set the column width would be helpful too. Having my due dates broken up into 2 rows makes things less easy to grasp.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you looking for some kind of numeric value to assign to the column width, like 200 pixels or something like that? If you're not looking for that kind of precision, why not just resize the columns by dragging the dividers in the column headings? Note that your view bar must be on to see the column headers.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Are you sure about that? You didn't change windows or perspectives, or flip between context and planning mode? The column headings don't change at all for me in a given window no matter what combination of projects and folders I select in the sidebar, so long as changing the selection of projects and folders is all I change. As the column view stuff is a property of the window, it is hard to imagine why changing the selection would affect it.
Yep, only way it works is if I previously selected a Perspective for which I have saved the column view. It seems that the column view setting does carry over after selecting a Perspective containing that column view, even if I select a project that is not part of that perspective. But, I have to select the Perspective first.

When you say "select", do you mean single clicking on a project in the sidebar? Or do you mean double-clicking on a project to open a new window?

Curt