The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Hit List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Having initially used OF before switching to Things for 9 months, before switching back a couple of months ago, I've realised that there are various features that only OF has that make it the product for me.

Out of curiosity, I've played with THL for probably around an hour or so in total and aside from the lack of sequential filter (already mentioned) the following make it an 'interesting' development but not one that I could actually use:

Getting things in - As an example, many of my tasks come from email (via Mail.app). In OF, there is nothing lacking in this respect. With two key strokes I get the whole message stored in notes and a link back to the original. Processing emails is a joy. Quick entry boxes are prevalent in both Things and The Hit List but they should be the minimum in such applications. I think only OF has taken them further.

Viewing notes - With OF, I can use QuickLook on links to files within my notes. It's a small point that can make a lot of difference.

Support and Development - Despite being the most mature of the 3 main players, OF is the one that seems to offer the most going forward. I love sneaky peaks. I also feel same that the OG peeps are there for me should I have a problem.

Reviews - I can see that THL (via smart folders) can let you build a perspective type 'view' but only OF (as far as I can see) gives thought the the actual review process.

Focus - When I used Things, it started to look cluttered. I can see the side bar in THL taking on that burden as well. A simple focussed list that the 'Focus' button in OF gives me, is exactly what's needed sometimes.