The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb needs a good working ad blocker like PithHelmet Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I really like OmniWeb very much - especially because the 5.5 previews are rendering websites very fast on my iMac CoreDuo and workspaces are a cool feature - but until ad blocking is only poorly supported it will not be my favorite browser. Unfortunately...

At the moment I am using Safari with PithHelmet (http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php) - and that's exactly what we need for OmniWeb. I would pay for a good working ad blocker 10 $ or more... But without this feature I cannot use OmniWeb as my default browser - I do not want to see all those boring ads...

Maybe the developer of PithHelmet would give the Omnigroup team support for integrating PithHelmet in OmniWeb... Safari and OmniWeb both use WebKit - so maybe it is not to diffucult to implement PithHelmet into OmniWeb...

Ulf

I prefer OW's adblocking, for the most part, to pith helmet. What is it you like so much about it?

PithHelmet filters ads more accurate - especially ads using Flash... And I do not have to set manually the URLs that are blocked (using the "Matching knows ads size" feature filters a lot of normal images) - it's a lot of work to configurate OmniWeb blocking ads. PithHelmet works without that...

Can you provide a link to a page where PH blocks the ads but OW doesn't? I hear what you're saying about Flash.

Quote:
(using the "Matching knows ads size" feature filters a lot of normal images)
You can enable this, and then for sites where you find "good" images blocked you can set a site preference to NOT block known ad sizes.

I have my OW set to block these ads, but on a site like ign.com I have a site pref to not do this.

Oh, and FWIW I find Pith Helmet to be too complex, and its default rules block too much good content.

The only thing I think people like about adblock and pith helment is the apparent ease of just a quick right-click to add an ad to the filterset, and the ability to get rules online.

I have found OWs filtering to be more than adequate, although at first I admit I thought it lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Can you provide a link to a page where PH blocks the ads but OW doesn't? I hear what you're saying about Flash.
Flash ads seem to be the most difficult to deal with; they're by far the most annoying but disabling Flash is a sledgehammer solution.

I have found, however [:D ] that the 'zap plugins' bookmarklet here works with Flash ads on a page-by-page basis in OW5.5b1

I rarely have a problem with Flash ads, and I never disable Flash. Without a sample link, I'm not sure what to tell you.