The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

hierarchy by column Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
OmniOutliner helps me organize data for which I would previously use a spreadsheet. I like the combination of hierarchy and columns, but I sometimes have difficulty deciding whether to represent something with a column or a heading level. For example, I have a list of books that I want to categorize (programming, business, games, etc.). In a spreadsheet, I would put this category in a column, giving me the option of sorting (and, in a database, grouping). In an outline, I can put the category in a heading level, which is more dramatic, but less flexible.

What I would like to see is a way to move back and forth from columns to heading levels. That is, each outline would essentially be a flat table, but any column could be promoted to a heading level, thereby hiding the column. Rows added under a heading would have the value for the corresponding column set accordingly.

I'm not sure how this will look in a forum post, but the idea is that an outline might start like this:

BOOK,CATEGORY
The Intelligent Investor,business
Chess Fundamentals,games
Super System,games
Learning Ruby,programming
Programming Perl,programming

When I make category a heading, it will look like this:

BOOK
business
.The Intelligent Investor
games
.Chess Fundamentals