The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No longer able to sync with my iPhone . . . Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey, all. Second time poster here.

About a week ago, my iPhone stopped syncing with my desktop version of OmniFocus. Here're all the stats I can think of which might be important to the situation:

Desktop
Running Mac OS 10.5.8
Running Omnifocus 1.7.1 (as of tonight -- before was an earlier version)
Using Bonjour to sync
Connected to our router via a wired connection
"Show Clients" only shows this computer

iPhone
Running OS 3.0.1
Running Omnifocus 1.5.2
Using Bonjour to sync
Wi-Fi is on and appears to be connecting

Trying to sync from the iPhone results in the error "Unable to synchronize database with server. -- Unable to find sync server." Retrying causes the same error with shorter full text.

Trying to sync from the desktop causes no errors or alerts, but I'm pretty sure it's just syncing with the desktop itself.

Also: We recently replaced our router. The network is named the same and has the same password, but as with all switches, sometimes not everything populates correctly. We do have wireless working in the house, though.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

If 'Show Clients' only shows your Mac, then you are no longer paired with your iPhone. I'd suggest starting the pairing process over using the instructions in the OmniFocus Mac preference pane.

Hm . . . that seems to be causing a bit of a "chicken and egg" issue . . .

When I try to share database settings with my iPhone now, the Share Settings button in the Synchronization Preferences doesn't seem to go through. When I instead send the settings, it tries to sync but I still receive the same error: "Unable to synchronize database with server. -- Unable to find sync server."

Specifically, the error says: "Unable to find sync server. No server could be found that matches your sync settings. Please make sure that your sync server is awake and that Omnifocus is open."

Thanks for that suggestion, but so far I don't seem able to get that to work.

Last edited by rigel; 2009-08-31 at 08:51 AM..

If your iPhone can't find your desktop when it is broadcasting the sync settings, it sounds like you've got a networking problem of some sort. What are you using for a router?

I'll have to meander over to a place I'm not currently at to check this, but if it helps, I opened up terminal on my desktop and pinged my phone to see if it could find it, and that worked perfectly fine.

AFAIK the phone was finding the wireless network fine before, but just to make sure there wasn't some sort of renewal issue I forgot the network entirely and re-found it.

Right, but that doesn't mean the Bonjour advertisements are being sent everywhere they need to go.

Can the Apple Remote app find your machine? My bet is that it cannot.

Another trouble-shooting tactic: if you've got a Mac laptop handy, install a copy of OmniFocus on it and set it up to sync via Bonjour to your desktop machine. Try it first via wireless. If you can't see the shared settings via wireless but can when it is hard-wired to your network, that would seem to be pretty damning of the recent network changes.

Rigel, have the firewall settings on your Mac been adjusted or changed recently? It sounds like OmniFocus on your Mac is allowed to broadcast information, but is being blocked from accepting an incoming connection from OmniFocus on your iPhone. (OmniFocus for Mac can send settings to the phone, in other words, but can't receive info sent the other direction.)

Do the steps in this sticky post help at all?

whpalmer4: Oddly enough, Apple Remote finds my desktop just fine. That's . . . reassuring, I suppose? :)

Brian: Checking the security tab reveals that my Mac allows all incoming connections.

Could this have something to do with some odd thing I haven't set up in the desktop Omnifocus app since my upgrade to a newer version? If there's something I would / would have needed to change again since I started using it, I could imagine forgetting.

Nope, shouldn't be any settings adjustments necessary. If you quit OmniFocus on both devices, connect the Mac directly to the Phone via a computer-to-computer network, and then restart both versions of the app are you able to sync?

Check Mac Help for info on setting up a c-2-c network. Basically, we want to bypass the larger wifi network and see if that is a factor in the problem.