The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clippings Shortcut without ⌘? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Question: is it possible to use a Clippings Shortcut without -⌘ (Command Key)?

OF seems to insert the ⌘ whether you want it or not. Searched on the forums but I could not find an explanation for this behaviour.

Jim's post here suggests that the command key is necessary to have it work everywhere: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...68&postcount=7

Thanks, whpalmer4, I missed Jim’s post.

However, quoting Jim (my emphasis): “The other is that unless a keyboard equivalent has at least Command or Control set as modifiers, it will fail to work in certain cases”.

It would therefore appear that Control alone would work OK without Command, which would suit me perfectly as I would like to use "ctrl-⌥-6" as my Clippings Shortcut.

Might it be possible?

Sorry, I didn't summarize Jim's point very well!

It appears that the shortcut recorder has dealt with the issue of needing one or the other by simply assigning the cmd key whether you ask for it or not. Given that, you probably are stuck with having the cmd key in your clipping shortcut. However, you can use control-option-6 as your quick entry shortcut. You'll have to get someone at Omni to explain why the clipping keyboard shortcut is more restrictive than the quick entry one.

Thanks whpalmer4. Your answer is very much appreciated.

Is there anyone from Omni that can add more as to why you must include ⌘ (not ctrl alone) for the Clippings Shortcut?

Helping a customer earlier today, I realized I needed to update the troubleshooting posts on Clipping shortcuts; check the "important note" bit here for the details of why we started requiring the Command key for clipping. I thought I'd posted that info already; apologies!

(Clipping goes the services route so it can pull information about whatever's selected in the application you're clipping from. Since Quick Entry doesn't need other apps to feed it info, it can be coded up differently.)

Aha! Now I understand why it is seemingly inconsistent (I've always used shortcuts that had the cmd key, so didn't notice the change with Snow Leopard). Thanks for the explanation!

Thanks Brian. Now fully understood.

So time to hunt for a suitable ⌘-based shortcut…