The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Calendar app returns "Cannot Subscribe" errors during setup Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Buzdjow - have you ever had a different username or password for the server you're syncing with now? Or did you just set up the account for the first time before syncing?

One of our theories is that the Calendar application is showing the login panel, but then pulling old/obsolete login information from the phone's keychain and sending that to the server instead of what you typed.

If you're willing to set up a test account with one of the other sync providers listed here (one you've never used before), it would be useful to know if the problem is linked to setting up sync on a specific server, or if it prevents you from setting up sync with any server.
I have done as suggested. It was a success. But I don't understand, why it is possible to subscribe to the calendar from the desktop (Mac OS X 10.5.7) but not able to subscribe using the iPhone (manually). I am not using MobileMe, I am FastMail.fm (not free) which is my mail server and gives me WebDav access. I am able to sync OF using the iPhone and sync using the Deskotp OF on my Mac.

Herbert, we're not sure why folks are seeing that, but one possibility is that the iPhone calendar application (or the iPhone OS) has a bug in it's code that the corresponding code on the Mac does not.

Okay, so you're unable to subscribe to the calendar on the Fastmail server on the phone, but subscribing to a new server was successful - that's very good to go. I'll pass that along to the folks that are working on the problem. Sorry for the trouble this is causing, and thanks very much for helping us work on the problem!

Hi Brian

I'll send this to support too - just confirmed that having an Exchange calendar setup on the iPhone breaks the ability to subscribe to DueSoon.ics
  • I moved all my sync from bingodisk to swissdisk
  • all synced fine include DueSoon.ics displaying on the Web DAV disk when I viewed the remote disk on my Mac
  • it wouldn't connect to the calendar as people have described previously
  • turned Exchange Mail / Contacts / Calendars off
  • DueSoon.ics synced and displayed just fine.
  • When I turn Exchange Calendar back on I get the problem again (the old DueSoon.ics reminders remain on the phone - it just produces an error when trying to sync a new event)

A shame, as my Exchange info has to take priority, so I'm unable to use OmniFocus reminders.

On the plus side, swissdisk seems like a good free alternative to bingodisk.

--UPDATE--
Okay - it's not that simple. Now it does seem to be updating on OF sync. Will look into it more when I have time. Maybe disabling Exchange just while setting it up will work...

--UPDATE--
Seems to be working fine a day later, with Exchange still turned on. I did change from bingodisk to swissdisk before turning Exchange off. But I'm sure it's not just moving providers - Exchange definitely seemed to stop it configuring.

Anyway if you're having problems, and you have Exchange on, definitely try disabling it while you setup OmniFocus iPhone calendar syncing... seemed to work for me.

Last edited by uof; 2009-08-03 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by uof View Post
if you're having problems, and you have Exchange on, definitely try disabling it while you setup OmniFocus iPhone calendar syncing... seemed to work for me.
Can you briefly describe how to disable Exchange while setting this up? I use Exchange through a server at work, not sure exactly what you mean by, "disable it."

Do you mean to go to/click the 'mail' account that's using Exchange under the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" and just click the 'on/off' switch to 'off' under Exchange ActiveSync for the 'Calendars' option *only*?

Or are you speaking of under "Calendars" at bottom of "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" setting (it's one level 'up' from the Exchange ActiveSync settings pane I got to by just clicking on the specific 'mail' account).

Thanks!
~ Brad

Yep - just go to your Exchange account in iPhone settings. Where it lists Mail, Contacts, Calendars as "ON", just switch them off. Doing this removes that info from your phone. I did them all to be sure, but "Calendars" might be enough.

No guarantees all Exchange setups are the same, but after setting up OmniFocus calendar I just switched them all back on and it resyncs your Exchange info...

Good luck...

Hi All, my first Omniforum post. I purchase the iphone app yesterday and the desktop version. I created a free swissdisk webdav account and setup the desktop version to iphone sync, all well at this point. In iphone omni, attempted the subscribe to caldav, which returned the error. Thought I would manually create it in the iphone settings/calendar option. The first attempt didn't work! Couldn't work out why so did a bit of searching on these forums. There was mention of case-sensitivity - realised that the 'DueSoon.ics' on my swissdisk had capitals therefore on my second attempt to create it within the iphone calendar I wrote it as 'DueSoon.ics' with the capitals which worked and all was set-up correctly.

Apologies if I have missed the point of this thread here as I have only had a quick skwiz through the 3 pages whilst at work. But people may be having problems due to case sensitivity. Hope this helps in some way.

I just set up a Swissdisk account and the Subscribe to Calendar button in OmniFocus was giving me an error message.
Disabling my Exchange calendar temporarily in Settings, then manually adding a calendar using https://disk.swissdisk.com/username_here/DueSoon.ics worked, though. Re-enabled the Exchange calendar syncing, and all is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Buzdjow - have you ever had a different username or password for the server you're syncing with now? Or did you just set up the account for the first time before syncing?

One of our theories is that the Calendar application is showing the login panel, but then pulling old/obsolete login information from the phone's keychain and sending that to the server instead of what you typed.

If you're willing to set up a test account with one of the other sync providers listed here (one you've never used before), it would be useful to know if the problem is linked to setting up sync on a specific server, or if it prevents you from setting up sync with any server.
Yes, I set up on swiss disk and I can now subscribe- thanks!

As for previous posters, I had to set the calendar subscription up through the settings of the ipod:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf44 View Post
I went to main iPhone settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add Account.. --> Other --> Add Subscribed Calendar
As I got the 'could not subscribe' message when attempting to subscribe through OmniFocus.

Thanks again

Hi,
I've been working now a few days with the Ninja's and trying to gather info on this thread to make my notifications work.
THey kind of do and kind of don't.
I can start the sync. process, but as soon as I click on Subscribe to calendar I get "THE" error message.
But, strangly enough, things show up in my calendar.
BUT.... if I let things syn automatically, nothing happens.

So, I'm kind of stuck.

I am using swissdisk.com
I have an iphone 3Gs
updated to 3.0.1 last night

I do see under iphone settings, emails calendars and so on the Omnifocus calendar (which was created somehow, not by me).

All capilization is correct in DueSoon... everything is set to either push or run automatic.

Can someone please please help me get this to work. Please do not I am a novice here, so if you tell me to check something or changes something but not direct me how to exactly do it, I might come back with a big HUH would you please tell me where and how!!

I am totally scratching my head why this won't work.

Hi, looks like things started to kick in and I am able now to receive my notifications.
Still somewhat confused becuase my subscribe to calendar in OF will not work, but the notifications are showing up....

Christine