The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I view my contexts, it only reveals the contexts that are connected to project actions; the contexts related to non-project actions to not show up.
Does anyone know how I can change it to show all contexts?

On the view bar, choose "All contexts" in the first lozenge. If you don't have the view bar showing, you can turn it on from the View menu.

Lenore: thanks for your response. I tried what you suggested, but it still only showed the contexts that are related to projects. All others, don't show up.

I guess I'm not understanding what you mean by contexts related to projects. What mode are you in, planning or context? Where are you looking to find the contexts, the sidebar or the dropdown menu for the context field? Can you post a picture?

If I add an action while I am in the "inbox" and add a context to it; but I don't link it to a project (it's a stand alone action inside the inbox), it won't show up in the sidebar when I switch to context mode. I don't see it under the context that I created for it.
The only context tasks that show up are the one's that have projects associated with them. Stand alone tasks do NOT show up.
Sorry, if this sounds confusing.

I'm thinking this is intended, but not sure - running into the same exact problem. I'm not sure OF is designed for projectless actions?

-P

Is the action still in you Inbox? If so, that correct behavior: until you've cleaned up, the action can't appear in your Contexts, and if you don't assign the action to a project or single-action bucket, you can't clean up the inbox. (You can set a default single-action bucket so that all non-project actions automatically get put into a single-action bucket and thus get cleaned up. I don't like that because it's too easy for an incomplete action to disappear on me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2 View Post
If I add an action while I am in the "inbox" and add a context to it; but I don't link it to a project (it's a stand alone action inside the inbox), it won't show up in the sidebar when I switch to context mode. I don't see it under the context that I created for it.
The only context tasks that show up are the one's that have projects associated with them. Stand alone tasks do NOT show up.
Sorry, if this sounds confusing.
OK, I'm with you now. The inbox is designed (a la GTD) for quickly jotting things down as they occur to you and then processing them into projects and contexts later. (In practice these two steps often blur together.) So when you process stuff in the inbox, you add projects and contexts to them. Then you do a "Clean up" to parcel them out to the main part of your outline. How those items are handled during clean up is specified in the "Data" section of OF preferences. Check those settings. Also, what list singleton actions should go to is handled there as well.

Hope that was clear and not too verbose. Am in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Is the action still in you Inbox? If so, that correct behavior: until you've cleaned up, the action can't appear in your Contexts, and if you don't assign the action to a project or single-action bucket, you can't clean up the inbox. (You can set a default single-action bucket so that all non-project actions automatically get put into a single-action bucket and thus get cleaned up. I don't like that because it's too easy for an incomplete action to disappear on me.)
I'm using the GTD model by D.Allen. In that model, single-actions do not go under projects and you can assign contexts to them. I guess I was incorrectly putting those single-actions in the inbox. If that is the case, where do single-actions go where I can assign contexts to them?

Most of us are using the GTD model. In that model, the inbox is a holding pen for actions you haven't yet processed, as eronel mentioned.

OmniFocus has what it calls "single action projects" represented by a bucket icon; you can turn a project into a single action bucket by opening the inspector window and selecting "This is a list of single actions".

You can also choose a Default List of Single Actions under Preferences > Data.